Trying to Explain a Computer to my Mom is impossible.

We're just talking, and she doesn't understand. I explain, and she claims that they never work because they always "shuck" her off to something she doesn't want.

Well, no. They only do what you tell them to do, Momma. That's what you deny.

Mom: "There was no button and I needed the 'submit' button!"

Me: "Did you scroll down?"

Mom: "There was no fricken button!"

Me: "You probably had to scroll down."

Mom: "I don't know, but I couldn't see the button."

Me: "Do you know what scroll is?"

Mom: "Do you know where that button was?"

Me: "..."

Mom: "It wasn't there and then everything was just erased. Then it took me to some stuff about Florida. I was in Wisconsin, what the hell does Wisconsin have to do with Florida?"

That's when I quit and left her alone to be left behind in the age of technology. But now she's talking about the lady at the phone store.

"She was talking about syncing, and what the F*ck is that? I just went and stood in the corner because that girl was so smart. So while Bry talked to her, I just went to have a cigarette.
But then I decided that maybe I should go to Lowes and get some boxes. And all I could think about were those boxes I needed to get."

My mom, when she doesn't understand technology, starts thinking about something she does understand... boxes. Oh Mom, I love you, but you seriously need a crash-course for technology inept people. And no, don't ask me to teach you, because... just no.
Love you Mom. Also kind of glad you're not on the internet. It freaks me out when kids are friends with their parents on Facebook and I wouldn't want to hurt your feelings by denying your friend request, if were actually able to send one.

So, yep, that's the conversation I just had with my mom. Now she's telling me to get off my laptop and go to bed, but I think she just wants me to put down the technology. (:

How are your parents with technology? Specifically computers and the internet? My mom hates all of it. Except TV, she'd must rather I watch TV instead of blog on Mibba.

Night! (I'm actually going to get on my iPod, but I don't think she knows it's wifi-enabled. It took me so long to explain how wifi works and how my laptop and iPod connect to it at the same time my brother and sister do.)
October 23rd, 2012 at 08:55am