Cancer

Cancer 

People hear this one word and they think that they know what it is , when in reality. They don't. You really don't understand d what it is like to have cancer unless you have to grow up with cancer or being around cancer. Cancer is a horrible thing. It hurts you inside to the point that you are up moving around and doing as much as you can possible trying to keep  the pain away. You are crying  and aching to feel normal- to have your body back again. But it will never happen. Yes you are still a human being but you don't feel like one. You don't have to get up every morning and thank the lord that your still around. Or have to worry if when I lay my head down this time if it will be the last time you ever lay there next your wife, or daughter, or son.  You never have think, that at any moment you can die and that many people will have pain because of your loss. You don't have to go through a,l those painful treatments that they give you to try and help the cancer go away. 

          My uncle Jim has cancer. Lung cancer. And I know what youre thinking - he must smoke. Well yes he does smoke. Well did. But that's not the cause of his in this case. My uncle was a man that grew up with pride for him and his family. He worked no matter how ill he got. He even kept going when he had walking amoneia. This is why he has lung cancer. And everyday I have to watch him get up and see him put on a big front that he is okay. But you can see it in his face. You can see right through every lie he is trying to get you to believe with just one look into his face. 

      He doesn't sleep at night. He tosses and turns because the pain is too much. He is lucky to get 5 hours of sleep a week. Not night. Week!. And yet he keeps pushing himself because he knows people depends on him. 

Even though me uncle is the one that has the cancer, it effects everyone. My dad , his brother, reveals his frustration out of the whole ordeal by getting angry. And every time we get more bad news, his temper gets worse for that day but then the next he is find. My mom believes its easier to shield us from the pain by not telling us, which in reality only created guilt for her. My mom realized soon enough though that not telling us doesn't help because we find out anyways. My aunt Carol, my uncle's wife, cries but she will put on a brave face for him. But at night she losses it and just cries. And some days, she wants to just give up because she cant stand the responsibilities that come with caring for her husband. But she never will because he keeps her strong, and without him she will be loss.

On October 24th, 2012, my uncle drove to Sayer, Pa. He was getting surgery done the next day so he figured he would get the long drive out of the way. On October 25, he was put under anesthesia. A tumor had form on his adrenaline gland above his kidney and they hospital was going to remove it before it got worse. They cut him open from below his right rib to his hip and when they pulled the skin apart, the doctors had a surprise. The tumor grew to take up his whole abdomen and attacked to all his major organs. Needless to say, they could not remove the tumor. Now my uncle has to fight off two major body diseases.

Today, on October 27th, my uncle Jim was put on morphine. This is a good sign. I even talked with him. I told him i was going to bring him up some mint chocolate chip ice cream and he told me he couldn't have any because he has to have the anesthesia wear off first but he appreciated the thought. When i asked him how he was going, his exact reply was this: "I'm good, I feel good, the doctors told me I'm doing good and i cant wait to get back home." Even though he now has to fight off this tumor and cancer, he still has a positive out look on life. My uncle is just one of many cancer patients. And if you, or a friend, or a family member ever gets cancer, don't think negative. They NEED to be surrounded by positive thoughts.

This is going to be apart of my senior year project. I will be blogging to keep track of everything that happens and i am going to run a fun-raiser to help support help donate to the American Cancer Society because these people that go through this are truly amazing and need all the help and support they can get.<3
October 26th, 2012 at 08:27pm