Nobama (The Presidential Election and Racism)

Living in England, I probably don't know very much about the presidential election compared to most people on this site. If you asked me for my opinion then I'd either say Barack Obama (because hey, a President who dances on TV is a definite win in my book) or Gary Johnson (because I took a test and we have 86% the same viewpoints) were my favourites to win.

What gets me isn't how many people would rather vote for Romney. The candidates seem to have very different plans, all with good points and bad points, and if you prefer Mitt Romney's over everyone else's then I won't argue with you. To each their own.

But when people won't vote for Obama because he's African-American. Well.

Forgive me, I thought we'd finally managed to rid the world of these close-minded idiots. It angers me that people will completely look past all the good he's trying to do and how he's possibly one of the best Presidents America has had in the past few decades just because of his race.

I'm not going to pretend that I know exactly what he's done - and that is mainly because I'm too lazy to look it up - because I don't care. He could be the most hated person in the world, he could steal children and cut off their legs and leave them outside of orphanages, and if the reason you hated him was because he was black then I wouldn't want anything to do with you. My mother is half African. I'm white - would you hate me if you knew I had some black in me?

I think that people need to stop being so Georgian with their viewpoints. That they need to wake up, because being racist isn't making them big or clever. It just makes me lose a little bit more faith in humanity.

On a side note, who would you vote for if you lived in America? Or do you live there and have already voted?
October 27th, 2012 at 10:59pm