The Political Race

Okay, I know that this is a touchy issue, so I'm going to make a few things clear right off the bat:

1) I'm a Democrat, and I support Obama whole-heartededly.
2) Don't leave me hate in the comments. You'll be ignored. Please and thanks.

Anyway, moving on.

I understand that politics is a huge issue right now in the U.S., where I am a citizen, since the election is kind of today, and it's been a pressing issue for months.

But what is it about politics that makes everyone regress into three-year-olds? Why are people drawing lines in the sand, making an uncrossable barrier between themselves and others of the opposite party?

I don't know if it's just my school or if it's all over the country, but this is driving me crazy. Why is everyone so radical?

Politics is important, I get that. I'm not an idiot. But I don't understand why it's so incredibly earth-shattering to so many people. I've seen some people at each other's throats, being straight-up rude to each other, just because they're opposite political parties.

I have a couple examples of this. I swear I'm not crazy.

I have a Republican friend who posted a status simply stating that she doesn't like how people claim they're going to leave the country if Romney wins because she knows they're not going to move, that they're just going to complain on Facebook and Twitter.

And this other chick, who is a Democrat, commented and told my friend to be quiet, being quite rude about it.

I stuck up for my friend, as I was raised to do (being loyal is massively important in my family, and I wasn't going to sit around while someone attacked my friend), and an argument ensued.

It just disgusts me that this other girl thought it was OKAY to attack my friend, simply because my friend was of an oppposite political party. I know that's what drove that because I know the recent history between the two of them, and it's ridiculous. Doesn't the golden rule still apply?

Even worse, one of my friend's friends (different friend, but also a Republican) put on her Facebook wall, "Don't even think about talking to me tomorrow." Because one of them is definitely going to get put out by the result.

WHAT IS THAT? That is so rude! Why is everyone so cutthroat? In the end, we're all Americans, we are all humans. People don't deserve to be treated so harshly just because their views differ. Isn't this a battle we're all fighting in this country at this moment, for gay rights? Yet no one's talking about how it's wrong to hate someone just because they don't want your candidate to win.

In short, people shouldn't turn into animals and attack each other over differing views. It's juvenile. Just my two cents.
November 7th, 2012 at 12:56am