I despise voting day.

It's awful. Simple, pure, unadulterated hate is what I harbor for this day. I also harbor all those things and more for the actual mud slinging that goes on, but let's just stick to the events of today.

A couple of good friends and I campaigned for Obama today as well as several of our state representatives, most of which we met some time during our time in the 30-degree weather. We stood there with signs from seven thirty that morning to five in the evening; by the end, my fingers had been frozen and thawed at least five times from trying to keep warm and a good chunk of my homework had been accomplished. We had lots of downtime. To entertain ourselves, we sang for each other, and in turn, for others. We got so many compliments, even though I didn't think we sounded particularly good. It was lovely to be flattered.

But the flip side to all that sign-holding and entertaining was the insults that get flung at you for wanting either party to succeed.

You see, we were criticized for 1) being lazy as we ate lunch, since we had been on our feet for five hours at that point, 2) being "the enemy" of this uber-Romney supporter (who, by the way, asked us for money then joked about her dog that had ripped up one of their Romney signs, and then called us the enemy and not intimidating because people had told her that we were), and 3) for being women.

The last one was the worst slap in the face. HEY WE DON'T THINK THAT YOU SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO DO ANY OF THIS BECAUSE YOU HAVE A VAGINA. Excuse me? This is 2012. And next year it's going to be 2013. You will be a year older, and so will the rest of the world and all of the open-minded people who don't mind being equal with their mothers and sisters and girlfriends and wives and soul mates. Excuse the rest of us as we ignore your stupid comments.

And I hate voting day. It was awful. I screamed in my friend's room afterwards until I was blue in the face. Quite literally. So, thoughts on voting day?
November 7th, 2012 at 02:47am