Publisher interested in me, Nanowrimo, Obama. Advice or help anyone?

It's snowing outside. I don't even like snow. It's only the beginning of November and we just got through a hurricane. This sucks but I am so not letting it ruin my good mood.

First of all, go Obama! I voted for the first time last night and I was so proud to vote for Obama. I feel so much safer knowing that our country will be in good hands. Also, a few more states finally voted yes on marriage equality which makes me happy too.

I have been so busy with Nanowrimo. I have to write some today because I haven't yet. Yesterday I broke 15k which is more than I usually have at this point. My first novel didn't worry me much until the end. My second was slow going through the whole thing. My third now is giving me the week two wobbles which I never had before though it would seem many people hit a bit of a rough patch in week two. I'm not all that worried. I stayed up last night doing some more planning and I'm pretty sure I can make it to 50k again this year.

The reason I haven't written yet today is I got an unexpected e-mail. A publisher I sent my second novel to, is actually interested in me! It was actually the first draft of my novel. I didn't edit it at all before sending it so the changes they want me to make don't surprise me. It's going to be some hard work fixing them, especially since I'm busy doing nanowrimo right now too, but I'm going to make it happen. I'm going to work hard as I always have at my writing and make my dreams come true. Writing is my life. It's who I am. It's the only thing I want to do in life (besides start a family). It means the world to me. I'm very excited to have this opportunity. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Wish me luck!

Here is what they said to me basically. They had 3 editors read my manuscript. One loved it, the other two want to see changes before they say yes. I need to make it past tense instead of present tense, I need to add more contractions to make dialogue seem natural, I need to add some inner reflections to show the character's emotions, and more show vs. tell. They said they'll be happy to reconsider if I can make these changes because my book has potential.

If they say no, which I really hope they don't, I will have to at least try to be happy knowing they there are people out there who like my work and think it has potential.

Anyway, if you have any advice for me on how to make these changes or are even willing to read some parts of my manuscript to see if I made the changes correctly I'd be really glad. I'd super appreciate any help from you guys. Thanks <3
November 7th, 2012 at 05:55pm