What's up with falling in love with Beauty?

Some of the stories I've read are completely ridiculous… but it's probably the work of some middle school teenager. Yea, yea… free speech yadda yadda ya… but the thing is it really irks me the wrong way when in stories, the guy character just falls in love with the girl because, "She is so beautiful.. so beautiful." And then, when that starts going on… I just delete the story from my must read list permanently.

I understand what they're trying to do with the story, trust me… I used to write like that. But if you think about it from a 17 year old reader who is just reading for some joy, it really rubs the wrong way. Who would want a guy to fall for you because of your looks… you'd just be an object.

In stories, it has to be realistic for the reader to really relate. As a writer, it's hard for me too so please no hate. I understand the unrealistic imaginary idea of a guy falling in love with a girl at first sight… but come on…. Ew. It just really bothers me…

A story with more depth about the character's development and what's admirable about them makes a story fantastic. Nothing grabs a reader more than connection and interest. If the guy just falls for the girl because of their looks, where's the juicy grabbing of their relationship?

Sorry for the low tolerance…. just had to rant once in a while..
November 20th, 2012 at 04:59am