My daughter will never be raised how I was.

When I was a little girl, my mother always told me "if a boy picks on you or is mean to you, he likes you."

And here I am as a junior in high school and have already experienced an abusive relationship and heartbreak after heartbreak, I'm realizing that that's the worst thing my mother ever could have taught me. My daughter, if I have one, will not be raised on such ideas.

She'll be taught that if a boy is being mean to her, that he is immature and does not know how to express himself in a proper, positive light and she shouldn't waste her time on little boys like that. That if a boy truly likes her, he'll be good to her and respect her. Even if that means handing her her lunch box if she can't reach it instead of throwing it across the room.

My daughter is going to have some high ass standards, because she's going to be such a beautiful little girl who eventually will grow into an even more beautiful young lady and a well educated, independent, and moral adult.

I love my mom, but she didn't do too hot of a job in the male department for me. I'm having to go back and teach myself what kind of guys I need to give a chance and what ones to put my hand in their face and tell them to swerve.

I just hope I can maybe save a little girl from a few too many tears. I wish my mother had done that for me. That instead of chasing after the boy who pulled my pony tail, I should go after the boy who shared his crayons with me or held open a door for me.

I don't know why this really came to mind so suddenly, but it did. In other words, I hope everyone (if you're American, that is!) is having a happy Thanksgiving, and if you're not American, I still hope you're having a totes fab day!
November 22nd, 2012 at 06:59pm