Loving Yourself

I will be one of the first to admit that I have a tiny problem with loving myself all the time, but we are human and it is normal to feel upset or even angry with yourself from time to time. For me its a battle that I have faced since I was about ten years old. My mother passed away from cancer when I was nine, I didn't really fully get that she wasn't coming back until about a year after her death. When it finally hit me it hit me hard.

I always have loved to cheer people up, I like helping. But I would always find it so hard to comfort a friend when they were being hard on themselves, when I myself did the same thing behind closed doors. It made me grow to dislike who I was even more so then before.

I am now sixteen and still sometimes have problems with being able to fully love myself. It doesn't help that My grandmother ( super religious) and my aunts and uncles (money grubbers) have always put my dad and I down. My dad didn't become a doctor so automatically he is considered trash. I defend my dad and I am automatically trash. I really am so over the fact that I can't please them and that is okay to me. Family is not suppose to bring you down they are suppose to build you up, I guess mine lost the memo.

I would like to say that I am a better person this year then I was at this time last year. I have made some incredible changes in my life. I have started exercising more, started a job, and have learned who some of my true friends are. I am very content with my life and I am glad with that.

I have learned that one of the first steps to loving yourself more is wanting to do it. No one can help you with this task ( No significant other, no friend, and no family member) it has to be all you. Take time away from your friends, or your significant other. I am not saying shut them out completely but give yourself time to figure YOU out.

This doesn't all happen over night either, it will take time but in the end you are happier for discovering you and what you really want out of your life. We are only given one of these things after all.
December 5th, 2012 at 07:36am