Defending staying with a guy I won't marry.

My boyfriend and I have been together for over a year and a half and we have no intentions of marrying. We understand that at some point we will end our relationship (hopefully as friends) and then go date other people.

I've gotten shit for this, as well as people questioning my self-esteem.

I literally just realized about five minutes ago that these people may have an underlying sexist thing going on.

They all seem to think my life revolves around getting married, that marriage is the ultimate goal, and that I am cheating myself by not dumping a good guy I love to shop around and get married.

I have never heard of anyone question a man the same way over dating a girl he won't marry.

Yes, a LTR with someone I love is important to me down the line, but I don't know if I will get married. I do know that I'm only 25 years old and that I don't need to be worrying about it right now. I don't have an expiration date and I won't be less of a woman if I'm not married by 30.

Just something I wanted to say.

Oh, and the reasons I stay with my boyfriend are because:

- we have no reason to break up, we get along well and rarely fight

- not every relationship is forever; every relationship does have the opportunity to be a learning experience. (this one has been a HUGE learning experience)

- i love him and he loves me and we are happy.

- we have open communication and there are no hidden agendas regarding this

- i'm not attracted to anyone else at the moment

The last one is exceptionally important, I think. I'm not into anyone else so why would I dump my awesome boyfriend to be single and lonely and spend a long time looking for Mr/Miss right?

One day my relationship will reach its end, but that's not today and I'm not less of a woman for it.
December 8th, 2012 at 01:39am