Why I Hate Christmas

1) It has ruined Thanksgiving. With all the shopping specials that happen and now start on Thanksgiving this holiday has become overshadowed by Christmas. We are supposed to be thankful for what we have and friends and family and then hours later we are game planning for buying gifts for ourselves and for our friends that we don't need but we'd like to have at a bargain price. And even then a lot of people can't afford it. Very rare do you ever see people being polite and social because really they want to cut in front of you in the line and swipe something from your cart.

2) Even though we learn that Santa isn't real we use this holiday to train our kids that if you are good you will be rewarded. The whole naughty and nice list and if you are bad you will get coal right? Even when kids are brats this holiday just reinforced it. You can act like a jerk and rub it in peoples faces and you will still get presents. These are normally the kids who have wealthy parents and then those are the kids who are the ones being mean and bullying those that are less confident and less fortunate. Great morality to this holiday huh?

3) I always feel bad for those parents or people who are struggling to get by and make rent but feel the pressure to buy their friends and family gifts for Christmas. I know people are proud and don't want to show others that they aren't doing great and that way they will spread themselves thin so they can get the people in their lives gifts. Or the parents that feel the pressure because their children aren't old enough to understand. It makes a "cheerfull" holiday a stressful holiday.

4) Isn't the whole reason of Christmas to celebrate the birth of Christ? I mean I'm not a religious man so I can't speak on behalf of all the religious people. But other than the lights I see outside houses every once in a great while I never hear any mention of religion and Christ when I am around my friends who are Christians. Yet all I hear about is what people want for Christmas. It's the most selfish holiday! I thought the whole purpose was to give to others but still its all about what gifts I'm getting. There's no real point to this holiday when this is actually a holiday that is supposed to have meaning!

5) When the Christmas music starts before Thanksgiving is even over that's almost like a slap in the face to Thanksgiving. Be patient at least people!

--Tell me why you do or don't like Christmas.
December 8th, 2012 at 05:39am