Help me, I'm having musician sadfeels. About missing persons. (plus some dumb pixels I made.)

Image

So, if you don't know who that is, I'll start there. If you do, you probably know where I'm going with this.

Richey Edwards was the guitar player and main songwriter of the Manic Street Preachers until he mysteriously disappeared in 1995. To this day, neither he nor his body have been found, though he was legally "presumed dead" in 2008. Edwards suffered with depression, drug and alcohol addiction and an eating disorder in his adult life. He is often revered for being an incredibly intelligent songwriter.

If you need to know more about MSP, Google that shit, son.

Manic Street Preachers are one of my favourite bands, mostly because of the lyrics. And they are as they are described; intelligent, biting and controversial. Not to mention James Dead Bradfield has an incredible voice and plays guitar really well, and Nicky Wire is entirely ridiculous. But the concept of what happened to Richey Edwards is sometimes hard to wrap your head around. He's been gone for seventeen years without any evidence of what really happened. And the kicker is the band still believes he's alive. There have been recent interviews with Nicky Wire especially, since they were very close, says he just can't accept that he's dead. And I can never help but put myself in that position.

What would you do if someone you loved, a family member, a friend, disappeared for seventeen years? They don't even have to be close, if it's someone at school. When someone goes missing, they are usually found weeks or months later, usually dead. But if there's never any evidence? It has got to be hard to accept that they're really dead. It's so much worse than someone dying because you would be in this constant state of indecision. Even if all signs point towards their death (and in Edwards' case, they do) there is still that little glimmer of hope that they're alive out there somewhere, keeping a huge secret. In a way, you know they're dead, but you still believe they're alive. Belief often trumps thoughts.

That said, there have been "sightings" of Richey Edwards, but they're pretty much equivalent to sightings of Elvis.

And I don't know why it affects me so much. Like, he disappeared when I was very young, I never knew him at all, and yet his story just makes me feel really sad. It's just so hard to imagine that happening to anybody I know.



Image

Also I made a Richeysprite, a friend on tumblr made Nickysprite. Though if the sprite had blue eyes, it would actually be me. Somehow Richeysprite looks exactly like me.

Image

Plus EA and Joshua Von Grimm.

Image

Image

obviously ripped off from MSPA talksprites, but making sprites of musicians is huge on tumblr right now. Plus they're cute and fun.
December 10th, 2012 at 08:58pm