My Milkshake Brings All the Boys to The Yard

We just found out that my grandma has two tumors--one on her liver, the other on her pancreas. Both of them are bigger than the average-sized fist, so we're told.

My whole family is throwing a fit for her to do chemo and radiation, except me and my mother (who are both nurses). Honestly, though. My grandmother is in her mid-eighties, and they already told us the tumors are inoperable. It's completely selfish of us to ask her to go through chemo and radiation at that age, only so that we can be selfish and keep her here longer with us. The tumors haven't caused any problems so far, other than the fact that its touching her gallbladder and making her nauseous; this is easily being controlled with anti emetics, and she's doing fine. One of my aunts, in particular, wants her to be on chemo for the long run until the tumors are gone, but that is seriously unrealistic for someone of her age. It's fine to be on chemo until the tumors are smaller or whatever, but odds are the chemo will make the rest of her time here miserable. She'll be weak, sick all the time, and so help me god if she gets radiation burns...

I'm all for putting her on chemo and radiation until the tumors aren't touching her gallbladder anymore. Sure, lets try. But I refuse to let them put her through any misery with it. She is feeling zero pain, and zero nausea right now. And that's how I want it to stay.

Don't get me wrong; I love my grandmother more than anything on the face of this earth. But pancreatic cancer is one of the worst, if not THE worst cancer there is. Statistically speaking, of course. But you know what they say... There are lies, damned lies, and then statistics. They can't be trusted.

So now I'm stuck teaching my mom's night class while she's at my grandmas house feeding their dogs and vacuuming poo up out of the floor. I hate CNA students. They can be such smart asses. But at least I got a chocolate milkshake out of this.
December 11th, 2012 at 01:27am