Graduation...The Best Day Ever!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to wake up at 7:20 a.m. I didn't even know there WAS a 7:20 a.m. Anyway, I had to be at the arena by 9 a.m. I got dressed, did my makeup, and left.

I was a bit late, but it was no big deal. I was given the card they had to scan for my information (name, degree, etc.), went to the bathroom and put on my gown, and headed to the East Hall to find my line--Liberal Arts undergraduates, for the win!!!!!!

We stood around, chatting, until it was time to go into the Propst Arena (incidentally, this is where I saw Black Veil Brides and Avenged Sevenfold last year). I won't bore you with the details of the ceremony. Trust me when I tell you that I was half-asleep the whole time. I was rather irritated that the guy calling our names as we crossed the stage to accept our diplomas mispronounced my middle name. Other than that, nothing of note happened. Except, ya know, I got my degree!

Afterward, we returned to the East Hall, where they were holding a reception. I had to run to the potty--two and a half hours is a long time--and that's where my mom found me. We then met up with my dad and my brother. I had to go out to my car for my phone and my camera since we had been told not to bring anything in with us.

Well, as I was leaving the parking garage, I heard my cell going off. I figured it was my friend Chanin, who was somewhere in the crowd milling around. I flipped open my phone and saw that I had two messages from David Lynam. He had never stated with certainty that he was coming, so I assumed the messages would be him congratulating me and telling me he was sorry he couldn't make it. However, the first one read "I need a picture. Where you be?" and the second one said simply "I'm in East Hall." (Just so y'all know, he was speaking improperly to drive me nuts...I'm an English major, he knew it would get to me.)

Once more, I walked into the East Hall. He was right by the door. I threw myself on him and we stumbled a little. He congratulated me about a thousand times. I commented that I couldn't believe he was even there and he asked me why. I couldn't explain it without it sounding like I think he's an asshole or something. Whatever. He was so proud of me. It was cute. He even took two pictures during the ceremony that he posted on my Wall on Facebook. On his way home, he posted the picture of us together from the official Lynam page. Here's the picture: This time, he's MY fan. The caption he put with the picture said this:

Congrats to our girl, Melia Haner, for graduating today at the University of Alabama, Huntsville...something none of us in this band can boast about.

I can remember basically every word that was said, but I think my favorite moment was when I told David I was now too good to hang out with Lynam. His reply was "You've always acted like you were, but now you have a piece of paper that says so." Ha ha!

We finally found Chanin (who I had texted and informed that we were in East Hall and that she would see us by looking for David's Auburn beanie). David had to leave right after that. My parents, brother, Chanin, and I went to a Chinese buffet for lunch. I opened my gift from Chanin. She had bought me a photo album, meant to hold fond memories from college. I'll probably use it to hold fond memories of 2012...most of those not being school-related.

It was an absolutely fabulous day! I can't pretend David's presence didn't make it a bit better, because let's be honest, who WOULDN'T want their favorite drummer at their graduation ceremony???? I also actually really loved hearing Chanin say she was proud of me. She's been with me through most of my college days, and I'll be sticking with her through the rest of hers. I know she'll read this, even if she can't comment, so Chanin, I have only one thing to say to you-- WE GOT THIS!!!!!!!! Oh, and I love your face so hard! :P

Okay, I'll stop now. If I don't, this blog is going to be entirely too long. I may end up sharing more David Lynam quotes from the day, though...if you guys would like to read them. They're guaranteed to make you laugh.

Last thing: CONGRATULATIONS TO ME! I'M A GRADUATE! :D
December 16th, 2012 at 09:25am