Pit-bulls

How to write this without seeming like some really big-headed bitch who thinks she knows it all when in reality she doesn't but just knows quiet a few facts due to research for a paper once upon a time.

Pitbulls are the most aggressive breed of dog.
Actually, they were bred to fight other dogs and many believe that these breeds are actually less aggressive towards people. Tests conducted by the ATTS have shown that pits have a passing rate of 82% where as other general breeds have a passing rate of 72%(this is a temperament test).
Opinion: I haven't had meany dealings with pits. I've lived with two and a half. But what can I say about them... if you broke into our house one would hold your flashlight, the other would hide under a bed, and the mix would lick your hand off. I have however had other dogs. I've been attacked by a chow-chow, my fault, I have been chased by chihuahuas, I have been nipped at by other dogs. Not once have I been bitten by a pit. I personally believe it all has to come down to: mental stability, genetics, and how you raise the dog. Any dog has the chance to turn on their human. In fact, the English Cockerspaniel, the cute little floppy ear, doe-y eyed dog, is shown to be one of the most aggressive breeds

Amat, a researcher in the School of Veterinary Medicine at the Autonomous University of Barcelona, and her colleagues analyzed 1,040 cases of canine aggression brought to a nearby veterinary teaching hospital from 1998 to 2006. Of those cases, the majority of cases were attributed to English cocker spaniels, Rottweilers, Boxers, Yorkshire terriers and German shepherds.
In terms of coat color, Amat explained that the coat pigment melanin shares a common biochemical pathway with dopamine and other brain chemicals involved in the control of aggressive behavior.
Amat also noted that "inadequate handling by the owners due to their lack of information on dog behavior" is a contributing factor.
Other experts place even more blame on caretakers, suggesting there are no born-to-be-bad dogs, only bad owners.


Still wouldn't stop me from adopting a cocker, rottweiler, boxer, yorkie, or german shepherd because this does not adhere to every single dog in the breed. They found that more than 40% of behavior problems was because of the owner's lack of knowledge on how to train an animal.

Pitbulls will attack without warning.
I doubt it. It's like when you hear about someone dying and all of a sudden she went from queen bitch to, "she was the sweetest girl in the world. Never hurt anyone's feelings. Never said one bad thing." Which is wrong. While I am empathetic to the situation, it is still wrong. Normally, there are warnings. There are signs that the dog is having behavioral issues. It may be that it growls when you reach for a toy, or when you move their food bowl.

It is dangerous for a pit to be around any children, as they are more prone to attack.
Actually, they used to be referred to as "nanny dogs". I can vouch for this. While my cousin was growing up where do you think he slept? He would crawl into the dogs crate to sleep with him. The dog would let him sleep on him. Now, when I would baby sit a toddler, I watched how the dog acted. Kaleb stuck his fingers in his nose, played with his ears, played around with his mouth. Nothing. Justice just lied there. That is just one individual dog, I know, but my dog would run and hide whenever any child was around.

Lock-jaw
This is my favorite to hear about. It makes me laugh. Like, a real hearty laugh because after a few minutes I realize that people are serious... they genuinely think that there is a breed of dog that is able to really lock their jaw. Yet, there have been examinations that prove countless times that the jaws of pits function the exact same as any other breed of dog.

studies which have been conducted of the structure of the skulls, mandibles and teeth of Pit Bulls show that, in proportion to their size, their jaw structure and thus its inferred functional morphology, is no different than that of any [other] breed of dog. There is absolutely no evidence for the existence of any kind of ’locking mechanism’ unique to the structure of the jaw and/or teeth of the American Pit Bull Terrier, says Dr. I. Lerh Brisbin of the University of Georgia (from the ADBA
booklet, “Discover the American Pit Bull Terrier.)


This wasn't all of what was in my paper, and some of it I was just able to add like the personal experience. Which, they are the reason that I am so, what's the word, up in arms? Anyway, I can't stand when I hear the reasons, "why pit-bulls are the worst dog breed." When they aren't. There isn't any inherently BAD breed of dog. I mean, there are plenty of breeds I don't like such as shar pei, Neapolitan mastiff,dogue de bordeaux, bloodhounds, and a few others. But it's because I'm very picky about wrinkley faces and droopy eyes and such.

My favorite breeds are pom-chis, corgis(Pembroke and cardigan), french bull terrier, bullterrier, papillon, huskies, Spitz, pugs, rottweiler, dobermans, Scottish wolfhound, Irish wolfhounds, etc.... there's honestly too many to list. Each does have their own little "general" personality, but also each dog is an individual and might not meet standards. I just get irritated when people claim that pits are evil monsters that are only capable of attacking. All dogs have that capability, but there are other factors other than "it was born" or just because of it's breed.
December 17th, 2012 at 12:43pm