Columbine and Sandy Hook.

I need to first say this: I have not yet given birth to my own kids, but I have raised my sisters for a short period of time. When I sit here and think about the many children Adam Lanza had murdered, I can’t help but feel this tightening sensation in my chest and think to myself that what if this were Lake Street School? What if he lived here in Massachusetts (a place not far from Connecticut) and it were a few years before now and he had attacked the school where my sister once was? Where I once was?

It robs me of my breath when I think of it, and I can only begin to imagine the pain the parents are suffering from. The teachers, too—for they once had parents of their own, also.

On April 20, 1999 two high school boys walked into Columbine High School—Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold—with the intent to kill. They murdered twelve students and wounded twenty-one. Although the age difference is clear, the fact still remains—in both cases, each person was able to get their hands on a gun.

I’m in my freshman year of college—with a focus in psychology, but a major in forensics. People like Mr. Lanza are the reason why I chose my major—what on earth brings us to such madness to kill innocent people—children, nonetheless? What drives us to do such things? Is it biological?

But this is not my main question. My question is this: What are your thoughts on gun laws, or anything related? I agree with this statement: “Gun don’t kill people—people kill people.” This is true, for our fingers are doing the pulling—not the gun. It’s listening to the command it was given by the person. Guns do not have a mind of their own.

I believe that having the law crack its whip won’t do much, but I think that if it may be the only thing saving the lives on the innocent—then we have to try, don’t we?

Image
December 17th, 2012 at 11:09pm