Euthanasia.

Now, last night I caught the end of a documentary I have watched before.

If you're from Britain I'm sure you'll have heard of it but if not...

It was about Tony Nicklinson, paralysed since a severe stroke, unable to speak, to do anything for himself.

Now Tony Nicklinson wanted to die, not on that day, but he wanted to be able to choose his death, as he said, some people ( e.g Stephen Hawking) can live a perfectly fullfilling life in that situation, but he couldn't... and as he couldn't kill himself someone else would have to administer the lethal injection.

So, Euthansia and Murder became the debate...

They went to court after the documentary, and I followed it closely on the news. They rejected to change the law, or alter it in any way, for him or anyone else.
So Tony Nicklinson was forced to starve himself to death, a terrible silver lining to this was that he contracted Pneumonia quickly and died quickly.

But it was not dignified, his wife, daughters, had to watch him suffer.

His family however haven't given up - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20570785

I understand the fear of the government for legalising Euthanasia, they fear people will place influence on those ill etc...
But it just seems so simple to me, if someone is in their right mind, is able to confirm this is what they want at multiple meetings over a certain period of time, if they meet regularly for a while with a psychiatrist.

I think someone should have that choice.

Perhaps this is such a strong thing for me as I have a friend, and he has a condition.
I wont go into it as basically it upsets me.
But soon, he's twenty now, but by the times hes 30 at the latest he'll be as paralysed as Tony for the rest of his life.

Now, never has he uttered a complaint, never have I heard him say anything.
But to think, that if he ever wanted to end it...
I don't know, he is such a strong person, and it makes me feel pathetic and horrid for thinking such things.

But if that was what he ever wanted... If he didnt want to live that way.

Who the hell has the right to tell him different?

___

This really wasnt supposed to turn into a rant but... obviously it has.

What are other peoples opinions on Euthanasia as murder?

Everyone I've spoken too seems a lot more open than the Government.

I just dont get it.
December 31st, 2012 at 02:54pm