What a douchebag. Tell me I'm not the only one that thinks so.

Okay, so I was talking to this guy on facebook, we're ... friends, I guess? We have a rocky relationship, because he's sort of a dickhead a lot of the time, but I tolerate him because he's funny. Basically, he asked me what I was doing, so I told him that I was writing. He responded by calling me lame, which I laughed at because I thought it was a joke, so I said "Well, hey it's my career someday." and he was like LOL OK SURE IT IS YOU SUCK ACTUALLY BUT ALRIGHT. (Not exact words, obviously, I'm exaggerating, but that's what I derived from the conversation)

Conversation goes as follows (And I'm not that cocky. I was joking around while I was like YEAH I'M GONNA BE PUBLISHED. I don't genuinely think I am, but I guess I was provoking a response):

Him:
What if your books don't sell:o

Me:
they will. :D

Him:
Kk.

Me:
do you doubt that? lol

Him:
Idk

Me:
be honest

Him:
I dunno

Me:
Well I want to know what you think! Having never read something I've wrote before, I want to know youre preconceived notions. Curiosity.
I won't be offended.

Him:
No opinion.

Me:
You're boring. ;p

Him:
Lazy lol

Me:
boriing
one day you're gonna be like casually strolling about shopping, and you'll see my name on the cover of a book. and you'll be like ROCK ON!
true story.

Him:
You'll just break into bookstores at night and write your name on all the books lol

Me:
no, i'm gonna be published.

Him:
Oh

Me:
you obviously doubt me! i'm not that terrible at everything you know.

Him:
Yes, you're good at being terrible.

He wasn't joking, either. I know when he's joking, and he wasn't. He was serious, like he thinks I'm a terrible writer. Which hey, maybe it's true. I dunno, I can't really judge myself like that, but as a (sort of) friend, wouldn't you think he'd be a bit more supportive?

Naturally, I was a bit pissed off that one of my friends just sort of shit on my dreams like that, so I showed the conversation to my 'best friend.' She didn't even think that he was in the wrong. I wasn't asking her to pick sides or anything ridiculous like that, I was just sort of showing her because it upset me.

Like, these things bother me. Writing is the ONLY thing I've ever been relatively good at, and so when I get told I'm shitty, it really hurts, and all my close friends know that. I have a tattoo dedicated to writing, like, it's a big part of my life. I don't like hearing people tell me that it's a waste of time. It's my life, you know?

Can someone understand why I'm offended? Like ughh. I'm upset now.
January 5th, 2013 at 08:13am