Does Anyone Else Find it Nerve-wracking When You Let Someone Read Your Work?

I get a rush throughout my body and my heart starts pounding. I get anxiety, but it's for once not a bad anxiety. I can't sit there and watch them read it. I have to leave the room and go wring my hands somewhere else. I guess people get used to it, but I rarely ever give someone something to read or even print it out if I don't think it's ready yet.
So, last night I started writing my new story I've been thinking of. I only got around to just over a 1000 words, but it took me all night. I wasn't satisfied with the word count, but I wanted something physical out of the work that I just did, so I printed out the first page. I rarely ever do this because I don't like the idea of someone finding an unfinished, rough draft. So, I printed it out and read it and I thought, "This reads better on real paper."
So I decided to let my boyfriend read it. My boyfriend, who I have been with for almost 3 years has never read anything concerning my stories. He's only read my poetry because I suck at finishing stories. I have unfinished shit all over the place. So, I went to our room and gave it to him. I think this is the only positive "high" one can have, the rush you get when you have something to show for your hard work. And this was just a rough draft, a page. I can't imagine the feeling for those lucky authors who get to feel all the emotions that come with the first day of having their books published and put on shelves.
My boyfriend reads a lot of stories on the internet and I hope he wasn't just being nice, but he says from that page I gave him, it's written better than a lot of online stories he's read.
I think I will continue to print out the drafts and let him read them. I know he will be encouraging and it will probably give me the motivation to keep going until the stories done. Plus, it might be better to have the drafts around because then I'll know what the roots of the story sounded like.
I'm a perfectionist when it comes to writing my poems and stories, that's why I have absolutely nothing posted on Mibba to show of my creative writing, but I'll try my best. Instead of writing this blog, I should get back to writing my story.
Good day!
January 6th, 2013 at 12:42am