Character Names + Help

I want to know everyone's process for choosing a character's name. I've heard a lot of different ways that people name their characters and I'm curious. Do you try and name them based on their personality? Do you care more about which names would fit with the time period they were born?

I try and focus more on how realistic a name would be on a character based on when they were born. I've never gotten the point in trying to connect a name with a personality but then again I also don't associate names with personalities either. I've heard some people try and name them based on their appearance but I really don't get that either.

So I have a few questions:

1. How do you name your characters?

2. Do you associate names with personalities?

3. Do you picture physical appearance based on a name?

4. What are your biggest character name pet peeves?

I also need some help and opinions on a name for a story I'm going to start writing soon. A few years ago I wrote a story on here where the main character's name was Amber. It was an Avenged Sevenfold fanfiction and I finished it about three years ago so I'd put it out of mind. I was working on the plot and characters for a new story the other day and the name I settled on for the main character was Amber. This afternoon I remembered that I already had a story on here with a character with that name and now I'm confused. To me the new character's name is already Amber and I really don't want to change it but I'm worried that I shouldn't reuse it. Like I said before, the first story with the name in it was finished 3 years ago and it was an Avenged Sevenfold fanfiction. This new story is also a fanfiction but it isn't Avenged Sevenfold. Would it be alright for me to reuse the name?
January 10th, 2013 at 06:10am