Spirituality V. Religion

I dont care what religion you follow, if you do at all, wether you think of god, goddess, an omnipotent presence, whatever. Religion does not equal "spiritual". Being religious does not mean being spiritual. No matter what is written down, spirituality is not a passive achievement. You cant reach it by lying down on your couch. You cant do it by handing out flyers about jesus. you cant do it by blowing something up. Spirituality is a unique INDIVIDUAL experience, which comes from the individual, and his/her personnel relationship with whatever he/she identifies as their Omnipotent being. This relationship can completely determine someones character and path of life.
This is what sets spirituality apart from Religion which is a group, or a people. It is many voices. But where as spirituality, TRUE spirituality, is only positive towards the individual, Religion being a HUMAN creation, it naturally has both negatives and positives. Religion was is and will be a form of control on humanity.
Control being a different topic for a different time. It will always try to bend the masses to its will, regardless of the type. Yet, it can also offer community, help along your path, physical aid. Guidance. Positive influence. In short religion is not the source of spirituality, and it never was. It is merely a aid so to speak, not the dispenser.
If followed blindly, its dangerous. Which is unfortunatley why a lot of people now take a more agressive approach against religion and its practices. They aren't right, but they aren't wrong either. But hopefully, more and more people will recognize the difference and once again look to spirituality.
January 13th, 2013 at 10:20pm