Happiness is...

Life is not about happiness. At least, that's not what I was raised to believe. I think parents would be lying to their kids if that's what they said. There are happy moments in life, and there are terrible ones. There are choices that are right, and ones that end as a terrible mistake.

My roommate asked me, for the millionth time, why I chose to go to the university I'm at right now. My answer always remains the same; money, education, and the town. There's no stutter, no thought to it. School isn't about loving the place you're at, school is about getting a piece of paper that you wasted money and time on. I hate this school, most of that has to do with the administration, some with the students and teachers. There's a lot that I don't like about it. And there is a fair amount that I love. But it doesn't really matter, because I will be gone in four months and I don't have to think about it again. That's the pleasure of university; you don't have to stick around. The school am I at gave me the most money, an amazing education, and is in a pretty great town. I didn't care about making friends to last me a lifetime--though I have, and I didn't care about school activities and all of that. I'm able to focus on my studies, finish school two years early, and then be done with that part of my life.

Is this bad? I wouldn't say so. But then again, I don't need to be happy to be satisfied. The education I am receiving will allow me to do so much more with my life, I'll have choices and will be able to do things that I love and make me happy. That's just not where my life is at the moment, but that's where it will be. And soon. I graduate in four months, after that I will be more content with my life.

For some people happiness is really important, but just like everything in life, it's not important to everyone and that needs to be understood. Different people need different things out of life, that's just how it is. Some people need stability, others freedom, people need control or power, and even some need money. Just like them, some people need happiness.

And you know why this place is getting on my nerves? Cause people keep asking why I don't like it here, or why I'm here if I don't like it. As if liking a place is the only reason you would be there. Not everything in life is about happiness and love and everything good. Life is so much more than that. And if you go around just trying to fulfill those feelings, you're going to miss out on a lot.

Happiness is...[insert your definition]
-Siobhan
January 20th, 2013 at 09:13am