That's not it, I swear.

Okay, so here's the situation: I met this guy last semester in my creative writing class. We'll call him S for the sake of privacy. We got to know each other a little bit and he's told me all about his family and his novel and his religion (and he is REALLY into religion). And I told him some of my story and... Yeah. We've been getting kind of close, talking at school almost every day and he actually knows a lot of my story ideas and has read some of my first-draft poetry. So. All fine and good, yeah?

Well, he suggested that we get together after our classes. I told him I would, but then I couldn't because, when I called home to tell them, they said that they needed me there. So I felt kind of bad about that. When I got home I asked my mom if I could invite him out to go ice skating with me, since I had planned to go anyway. I went to ask my mother, since I don't have a car and she would have to drive, if she minded picking him up if he needed a ride. She said she wouldn't.

Fast forward to the next day. My mother has had second thoughts about this and decided to discuss it with my grandmother. And apparently I've given her the wrong impression. Gramma is now giving me the Good Girl vs. Bad Girl speech that she gave to her daughters way back in the day. "Good girls don't go chasing down boys," and "Nice girls wait for the right man to come along, not seek him out. They wait quietly," and other bullshit. This goes on for several hours. She thinks I'm pursuing S.

Now, here's a fun fact that (I imagine) you don't know about me: I'm asexual. I have no romantic interest in S and I never will. Ever. As long as I live. My family doesn't know this. Gramma thinks I'm naming our babies. This is where the frustration comes in.

Now here's where things get odd. I assume that this is my grandmother's over protectiveness that has given her these ideas, so I consult my mother assuming that she does not hold any of these ideas. I tell her that my grandmother is acting like she thinks I'm doing something strange; I tell her that my grandma has passed judgement on something she knows nothing about. My mother agrees, but then goes on to tell me that she believes that I should get to know S better still before going somewhere outside of school with him and "Maybe something will happen later." Now my mother launches into her speech on the value of virginity. She thinks I'm pursuing S as well.

Now I'm sitting here wondering what to do. I'm not really that angry that I can't go see S; I was half expecting her to tell me no. But I wasn't expecting this at all.
January 30th, 2013 at 05:16am