Rest In Peace Sid (and child(ren))

I got a mouse about 3 weeks ago, that was super tiny and I thought was male (she was kept in a male cage), and named it Sid. About a day later, I found out Sid was in fact female, but her name was in place and I refused to change it.

Then Sid started getting fat. Really fat, and mean. So I did a ton of research, and diagnosed her with pregnancy. I'm not sure how many pups there were, but I would have been surprised if there were any more than 4.

And today, she had one of her babies at least. I'm not sure if there were any more because I didn't want to poke around the cage. Also today, she and her lone pup died. Her from birth complications, and her pup from her not being there.

I know its only been 3 weeks that I had her, and I'd only seen her pup once they'd both passed away, but it's really killing me. Sid was my new pet after a freak day when Sebastian and Jimmi died within a matter of hours... so she was my whole world. And I'd been so excited about her babies, cutting up a super soft t-shirt for her nest, buying her the best food I could, finding a warm and quiet spot for her cage. I even told all my friends about it.

But she was just so small, and her babies were so big. It killed her.

Tomorrow when she's buried among the rest of the deceased pets, she's being buried with her little baby, who's going to be called Nancy.
February 1st, 2013 at 11:43pm