Sisterly Love.

I had this friend who changed my life. She used to come to my house on Saturday afternoons and we'd walk to the shop and buy Starbusts and Yogos and chocolate milk and we'd sit in the streets and eat until the streetlights came on. We never did end up staying outside until then, I was afraid of the ark and we compromised. We watched from my bedroom. We wandered in the endless bush near my house, we took photos of every damn thing we saw. We’d wake up before the rest of the world and walk to the main road, and lay on it. Well, I would; she'd get scared and watch out for cars. We’d go swimming in the middle of winter at 3 in the morning. For the longest time she was my best friend. I sat in the shower with her in Canberra when she fell and hurt her back, she rubbed my back and held my hair that time my step mum gave me food poisoning. We cried together under the computer table on the last day of year 7, back when everyone hated us. We made plans. And then we stopped talking.

Today I saw her for the first time in four years and I didn't even realise it was possible to miss someone so much and not even know it. This girl is my sister and my heart just about broke when I saw her, knowing that we let our friendship wither. Seeing her was the best thing I’d done for myself in four years.
February 2nd, 2013 at 09:38am