Anyone got advice for a first time hamster owner?

Basically, I've got a little Chinese dwarf hamster called Castiel. I got her about three weeks ago but no matter what I do, she just doesn't seem to be warming up to me at all. I got a Chinese one because I've read in a lot of places that they're supposed to be very friendly.

She will take treats from my hand, if I'm offering her them from the side and there is nothing above her at all. I can understand that because she's so tiny.

She never comes out of her house when I try and say hello to her. I normally sit there for about twenty minutes just talking to her and trying to offer her food.

She also pees in her house, and it makes the bedding stink something awful. I know your supposed to keep some of the bedding when you clean them out, but I literally can't because she just pees all over it and I don't want her to become unwell. She's got a potty, but she won't use it. I've tried to put soiled bedding in it, but she still goes in the house!

She also doesn't store food, which hamsters are supposed to do. I'm not sure if it's because she's so nervous. I just want her to feel more comfortable.

If anyone could help, I would really appreciate it.
February 17th, 2013 at 09:29pm