Technology VS The Common Lefty (Part Two)

Alright, picking back up from where I left off last time and moving onto what really had me writing about all of this:

Computers. Particularly mice. Almost every mouse in the world is made for the right-handed person. Looking for a left-handed mouse is like going to a Christian store and shopping around for a freaking statue of Buddha - you will be severely disappointed.

This might not seem like a huge deal, like how you can get over how some scissors are made and how you can ignore the fact that writing in general was made for righties (don't argue with me - you try writing and slowly covering up everything you have written/smearing all your letters because of your ball-point pen) but right-handed mice are really inconvenient for lefties. I mean, their entire shape screams right hand most of the time and if you are purchasing a gaming-mouse then most of the additional buttons are on the right side of the mouse where your thumb and index finger can easily reach them.

Recently, because of a minor injury, i have started to use my mouse, a Logitech G600 (which I purchased from my roommate), with my left hand. This brought up those earlier mentioned concerns along with some others. You see, when you are using a mouse with your left hand along with you typical keyboard you quickly become aware that it was easier to use your mouse with your right hand. Most of the quick alt+letter and ctrl+letter combos are easily accessible by your left hand. Your caps lock is over there (dependent on your keyboard. Though don't get me started about the uselessness of that key anyway) and your tab is over there. Matter-o-factly the entire alphabet is shifted to the left for people who use their mouse in the right hand.

I am a gamer. A big gamer. Hell, I am looking to become a game developer/design one day. I play computer games like there is no tomorrow (shhhh I call it studying). Try to play a hardcore computer game with your mouse on the left side. Have fun using the normal controls of WASD + Shift, CTRL, ALT, 1234, Spacebar while having to use your mouse (aka give up because it's bullshit; though honestly you could flip the controls around and use PL;' and so forth - hell you even get an extra key there).

Think about it. Drive on the right side of the road. Drivers get the right of way. Yes, sir, you are right (as opposed to being left which must be bad or something). Okay that last one was a silly English thing but come on. Ever notice how most things conveniently open to the left so that right handed peoples have an easier time? I'll move on now...

It might seem like I am griping and bitching and all around hateful of right handed people and so on blah blah but I am not. I assure you. I thank you, Right-Handed Oppressive World. Why? Because of you I am a happy, cross-dominate person and borderline ambidextrous. It takes me very little time to get used to doing something with my other hand and I don't suffer as much from being more dominate on one side of my body.

And computers aren't completely against us lefties. I mean, the number pad is on the right making it just a tab bit more annoying for righties to use their mouse and the numberpad.

Really, I love being left-handed and I have no particular interest in changing the world because of it. But seriously, I good left-handed gaming mouse and keyboard would be nice. =]

With that, I end my rant. Just some things that have been roaming around in my head. Thanks to these slightly ridiculous thoughts I am brewing up a new story based, pretty much, on the idea of right-handed people vs left-handed people. So, look forward to that (or don't - whatever).
February 19th, 2013 at 06:47am