Hippocratic Oath

hello! it's been a while. well, i'm just talking to myself now so that's a bit pointless. (lol)
but then again, i'm glad i have something to say.
earlier today, i was at a lecture about health care systems, this one was about hati. it struck me as odd. hati has been independent since the early 1800's yet, it is still one of the most underdeveloped countries in the world. you would think they got their act together and build stable infrastructure, yet they have none. apparently, since everyone in hati knows they are extremely poor, even their government does not tax them, they offer their own services for free. that in itself is admirable and stupid. so sorry to be harsh, however that type of system is just unsustainable, and to be even more harsh, we in the US endorse it.
hati has many donation given to it from multiple countries, they even call themselves the NGO country (lol). and sad enough, this might make to make matters seemingly better we have all these volunteer groups and missions come in to try and help. but here's the issue, these volunteer groups only really try to educate themselves more than they try to convey that knowledge to the people who really need it. this creates dependence on outside sources because it appears (to locals) that treatment is technologically advanced and are unattainable things they cannot have.
one amazing line i heard from the lecturer was "we do not need more doctors and nurses, what we need is a better health care system infrastructure before any thing else, other wise, how can people be treated?" no truer words have been spoken. where will you put the 30 doctors that want to help out if there are no facilities for them to set up a clinic? certinally not out on the road where there is no privacy for patients, tools for their trade, or clean spaces.
again back to the point of educating the public, what is the point of trying to have a health care system that does not grow, or educate the population? the only thing that would arise from this is an over bearing amount of people who need care and will not receive it. and that is exactly the situation hati is in right now.
it gets better (for some of us) but hati is not the only country out there with health care structure issues (surprise) even the united states has some flaws in its system. many people tend to think that health care is making sure you visit your doctors regularly, and should get prescribed the correct medication, which is true...partly. the majority of health care is really rooted down to daily life styles and what we do with our choices presented to us. funny huh? you would think by now that we have a pill for everything, but the truth is, we don't. not all of us have the same social standing, living environment, economical status, jobs, or education. these are all factors we should start to consider if we want to help give people better access to care. what we consider a 'health care' system is really just a disease management system, as more cases appear we will treat them mentality. however, wouldn't it be better if we could reduce the burden of new cases? i believe that would be a much better question to address, rather than what pills are available if i develop diabetes. we are living in a society where this health system is very interested in making money and does not want to stop any time soon. i always thought that if we entered the health field we would be helping people, not trying to make them more miserable (financially at least). where's the good in that? yes they have treatment, but what about their dollars for their next meal, rent, children?
many practitioners believe they are doing a good service to the people, but do they consider the effects in the long run on how the people they help what would they do if they (doctors and nurses) left? hardly. for the majority of them, this (missions to undeserved locations) is considered a great resume builder for them and they will continue to pursue their journey for a posh life as a specialist. (you would think that people would get the hint we do not need any more doctors from the fact that it's so hard to get in) (lol)
honestly, i do not have any qualms about people who want to become doctors, in fact i think it is a very noble thing to want to help people. but to those of us involved in the health care system, how often do we ask ourselves 'is what we are doing for the benefit of the people?'
it's about time our health care system had more care to it.
March 14th, 2013 at 02:09am