4 books I'd never get rid of - and highly recomend.

Well, I'm fairly new to Mibba, and am still working it out, but I'm getting there! So, after exploring and posting up some stuff, I had a look at the blogs and thought; hey, why don't I post one? Then I asked, about what?

So, after nosing around a fair bit, I finely decided, why not just blabber on about what I know? Books! After all, I don't know how many people are going to read this or even comment on it. Might as well do something I'm interested in.

Well, I'm probably boring you, if you are reading this, so I carry on with the list, shall I?

1) Harry Potter (duh) - j.k. rowling

This book should be on everybody's list. Not only does it have great characters, major and minor, the plot-line is a gold mind of conflicts. As everyone should know, a story without conflict isn't a story, just an array of pretty words on a piece of paper. Not only is Harry Potter suitable for all ages but it's also one of the best coming-of-ages stories of our generation. It's a story that will go down in history, for good reasons. I can imagine years from now, when I have my own children who are in secondary school they will be doing book reviews on its greatness.

2) Boys Don't Cry - Malorie blackman

There are many, many reasons I love this book. Not only does it put the shoe on the other foot when it comes to teen pregnancy it also prevents a strong questions on what it really means to be a 'man'. Usually teen pregnancy stories are from the POV of the mother, cruelly abandon by the dad-to-be but it turns it around on its head, and this time, Dante, a 18 year old is left holding the baby he didn't know existed.

What I really loved about this story was the fact that Dante, and his daughter, Emma, didn't immediately bond. Actually, Dante is amendment that the child isn't his!

There are some many things about this story I love. I love that Dante, brother Adam is open about his sexuality, and the family thinks he doesn't know what he wants. I love Dante dad's reaction to finding out about Emma and even the fact he's one of your typical parents 'do as I say, not as I do'. I also love that it works around a rule I've seen many men battle with, that no matter how stressful, no matter how hurt or rejected you feel, 'boys don't cry'.

This story is one of my favorite reads in along time, and it's a story I recommend everybody reads at least once.

3) I, Lucifer - Glen Duncan

This book... I'm really not sure what to say about it... It's a good book, or obviously I wouldn't be recommending it. In this story, the fallen one himself is given a chance to redeem himself and get back in to Gods good graces. The catch? He has to spend a month in the body of Duncan Glen and live a reasonably normal life as a human.

Part of this book makes me prey for the authors so because it's so well written, that you'll actually believe it was written by Lucifer himself. I swear, if you read this book, you'll find yourself preying for the mans soul. Not only does he highlight sensations that people take for granted but his twist on Eden, Adam, Eve, and even God is so detailed and easy to believe you would have you believing it his the Devil.

Not only is it funny, sarcastic and witty it's a book you wont be able to put down. This book does have it's fault, and may not actually be for everybody, but personally I found it's originality enough for me.

4) The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night Time - Mark Haddon

This book is a must read. At least once, please. This book is written from the point of view of Christopher, a fifteen year old boy with autism who, a Sherlock Holmes enthusiast, investigate the murder of his neighbors dog. Although its been a while since I read this book, and it wasn't a book I would have picked out of my own accord due to it's almost child-like front-cover, it is a book I will never forget.

The author, Mark Haddon did a commendable job conveying what people with Asperger's syndrome or autism face everyday and it gives a great insight into the mind of somebody who is on the spetrim. Even though most of it isn't intention due to Christopher finding humor difficult, it is a funny book, as well as a sad one. Christopher compulsive need to point out mundane things, specifically in his dealing with police and when dealing with his classmates, provides a comic relief throughout the book. If you do laugh, don't feel guilty, Mark wants you to laugh!

This is another book that is suitable for all ages. Due to Christopher being rather innocent and naive nature it keeps some of the more serious issues hidden from younger readers. People more skilled at reading behind the line and more knowledgeable about the wide world will be able to pick up on the hidden layer in this book.

It's a must read!
March 19th, 2013 at 08:38pm