INTRO/On Communication in Friendships

The first topic of my blog of personal life lessons is about communication. As someone who can be unlucky at life, I feel the duty to share things I've learned with you, readers, so that there can be an iota of a chance that you might not fall into the same mistakes I have. If even one of you is benefited from what I have to share, than I've fulfilled my duty as a blog author.
I could spew a load of self help book crap about how necessary trust, honesty, and communication is and make you feel obligated. But no, I'm simply giving you a choice. You can take what is given as advice or leave it at the door. Communication can be important in personal relationships with others. This isn't limited to intimate relations, but can span to professional relations such as with bosses and teachers, to family life,or down to friendships. Friendship's my personal focus point in these posts. I've had the most learning and experience from them.
In friendships, communication can be very key in achieving the levels you want with others. I've always thought of friendship in levels. There are the acquaintance friends that you know from school or work, but you know you'll probably not spend any meaningful quality time with, there are good friends that you hang out with outside of school and work during free time. And there are best friends, the ones you can never spend enough time with, you've spent years developing a meaningful friendship. Best friends are the ones you can share deeper feelings with and be comfortable talking to them about anything.
How does communication relate here? To develop friendships, and even solve problems with friends, communication is important. No matter how close the relationship, people need to know how you feel. If you aren't understood on some level, people can make mistakes and treat you wrongly without consideration. This is from my experience at least. I've had bad treatment from friends and making them aware of it can improve things. If they're a good friend, they won't burn you for it, they'll accept what you say and be glad you told them. If all goes well, the issue can be resolved between you two and your friendship can improve.
So you can take this lesson however you wish, and don't hesitate to let me know what you think!
March 25th, 2013 at 06:42pm