the divine uselessness of life

I`d like to be able to say that we all have some sort of divine purpose here, that the way the moonlight shines through the night is some sort of poetic way of saying: “I’m here for a reason, and you are too.” But I think in all reality that we, just like the moon, serve no real purpose. I bet you are thinking, “but wouldn`t my friends miss me?” well, look back to the moon again. What if the moon had never existed? At night, all you see are stars. Not the familiar beam of light that we all know and wait for each day to guide us through the dark adventures in life, but just a blank black sky, littered with stars. How can you miss something you never knew existed? If you think for a second: “why stay here?” then to be completely honest, there isn`t a reason. Logically, there is no point to live, to breathe, and to try. But emotionally, my brain is wired to think, “Yes! There are many reasons, because you`ve got so much to gain.” Really, the reasons are all selfish and miniscule. “You can get a job!” they say. For what, to buy some clothing I don`t need, to buy a car to make the neighbors jealous? You don`t need money to be happy. Having a good job isn`t important. “you can go to college and uni!” This one particularly is ridiculous. Being buried in loans for the rest of your life for a square hat and a pat on the head, all to impress others? And their excuse is, “you will make more money.” All of this to become more consumed in objects. Personal gain, Social status, It is all useless. Stop thinking about what you want in life. It`s always like: “wantwantwantwant.” For once in your life, stop thinking about the next thing you will buy, and start thinking about what really matters. Of course, nothing really matters, does it? So now think really hard. What is it you hope for right now? Do you hope that that girl loves you too? Do you hope for some motivation to get up in the morning? Do you hope you have enough money for the groceries next week? Do you hope you can live a little longer or die a little faster? The questions you ask yourself before you go to bed at night and take one last look at our useless moon, are the questions that really give life meaning, that really, have an ounce of use. It`s all uselessly useful, really.
March 26th, 2013 at 02:22am