Predictable Writing

I absolutely love to write stories, hence why I am on this amazing site! I always can’t wait to write the next chapter of a story just as much as the readers can’t wait to read it. Writing is a circle of life so to speak. Once I have a story in my head I am eager to write it. I always plan a chapter out before I write it so I know what to write, changing a few things here and there along the way. And eventually it all comes together and makes sense (hopefully).

But like most authors I am very critical of my work and sometimes I wonder if it’s good enough or if I need to change it. I also wonder if my writing or plot line is too predictable. I hate being predictable and I am always looking to catch my readers my surprise in any way possible just to keep them on the edge of their seats. I also love leaving cliff hangers at the end of a chapter here and there. But sometimes I think to myself that there is no feeling of suspense and that it’s too predictable as to what will happen next. It’s an aggravating feeling really.

Unfortunately though I am not in the minds of my readers so I do not know what they are thinking. Obviously they like my work is they are still subscribed and reading so I must be doing something right. But from my perspective I don’t know if they think it’s too predictable or not. I for one think my writing is very predictable. But that may be because I’m the author so I know what’s going to happen. Maybe that’s why authors are never quite happy enough with their work; they think it is too predictable. But they think it’s too predictable because they know what’s going to happen next because they’re the ones writing the story!

So I’m curious to know what other authors think about this. Do you ever feel like your story is far too predictable as well? Have you ever considered any of this, just like me? Or do you all think I’m totally crazy (which I won’t lie I have my moments)? Food for thought, Mibbians!
March 29th, 2013 at 07:33pm