Why Hate On FanFiction For Stereotypical Reasons?

Why do people bash FanFiction for stereotypical reasons?

Once I read a blog by a guy on my friends list titled "Why I Hate FanFiction" and two of his reasons were that he thinks it's creepy to write yourself falling in love with a band member into a story on the internet and that people, if they write FanFiction cannot write original characters.

I don't know about any of you, but I come up with COMPLETELY original characters for FanFictions other than the band members of course. I would find it weird writing myself with these band members that I no I have absolutely no shot whatsoever with.

I just use FanFiction to try and improve my writing.

Another thing is they say all FanFictions are horribly written with cliche plots. I've read some wonderfully written FanFictions with unique plots. I admit that quite a few have cliche plots, but nowadays NOTHING is really original anymore... nothing that anyone would want to read anyway.

If any of these stories aren't written very well either they aren't serious about writing or they are trying to improve!

Also people say, "They're all sex." lol No. Most of the ones I have read barely have any sex in it, some don't have sex in it at all.

I think it's ridiculous that they've never read most of the wonderful FanFictions that are out there and yet they're saying they hate it just by the few they read and what they've heard of these stereotypical characteristics!
April 1st, 2013 at 01:05am