"I hate gays," is not a nice sentence.

So one of my really good girl friends and I were talking today about a certain boy. For the sake of my blog lets call him Daniel. So Daniel is the only openly gay person in our school, even including the girls, and has a "don't mess with me" sort of reputation after beating some kid up in middle school after he called him a "fag." He's very friendly but I cower whenever he talks to me. I get really shy around him only because

HE'S SO ATTRACTIVE.

SO cute. He's definitely the cleanest, best looking boy in my school by a long-shot. I was telling my friend this (lets call her Cassie) and told her the little crush I had on Daniel. I asked if she thought he was attractive and she said "Not in the slightest."

I shrugged it off, knowing that not everyone ha the same taste. She could've stopped herself there, but in the end she added:

"Because he's gay."

I don't know what I expected her to say, honestly. Cassie has gone to a Catholic church since the day she was born, and wears a Jesus necklace like it's her most prized possession (And it probably is). I didn't know why, but I was offended by her answer.

I asked her why she thought being "gay" all of a sudden makes someone less attractive. She answered with, "Being gay isn't natural."

Again, she could've stopped there, but she added:

"Anyone who has feelings for the same sex is going to Hell and shouldn't call themselves a Christian."

I said nothing.

Cassie was never like that before. And it honestly scared the shit out of me.

I can't even... what-

A million thoughts are running through my head. It makes me sick. How could she judge someone she doesn't know because her "God" says it's wrong to be gay? So many people like the same sex these days. So many GOOD PEOPLE that she's passing by that could have a chance to touch her heart! It shouldn't matter what label they put on themselves or who they are.

I usually text her the moment I get home, but today I really feel like I lost a friend. If she can't accept Daniel for who he is, how could I ask her for the same thing? Should you really judge someone based on what sex they like, or even say so coldly that they're going to Hell? Who does she think she is?! God?

Shouldn't love be about love? Shouldn't it be about how someone makes you feel, whether it's with a man or a woman?

I've noticed that it's just so easy to love a girl, and that boys are just some foreign species that most of the time I just don't care to figure out. The bonds us girls can create with each other are so amazing and we understand each other. No matter how many times I say, "Yeah, I'm pretty sure I like girls," I still feel things for boys. I love them and someday I want to have a normal family with a whole bunch of babies! I'm at the point where I don't even distinguish between male and female when I call someone beautiful. You just are. And gender shouldn't matter. It should never matter!

I don't judge people for who they are because I think that you should never put a limit on love. You should never say "I would never feel anything for girls" or "I would never have a serious relationship with a boy." If you do, then your closing your heart to so many good people who have the potential to make you a better person and maybe that person is even someone you might fall in love with someday.

I feel so lame but these are just some if the thoughts I have running through my brain whenever I hear people saying "I hate gays," or any other angry hate- comments that (I believe) people don't mean or don't even understand what they're saying before they voice it. Especially if they're toward a specific person because there's so much more to someone than what they show.

As for Cassie, I think I'm re-evaluating our friendship. Taking a step back and thinking a moment so I don't do any collateral damage.

I wouldn't tell her anything I said in this blog, of course, I wouldn't wanna go to Hell.

Yeah I'm just a tiny bit pissed.

Bye for the day, everybody. And always remember, Johno loves you.

Image
April 2nd, 2013 at 01:41am