3:00am Thoughts About Honesty

I've been told that I don't have a filter which is funny to me because I usually think about what I say for quite a while before I say it. It's just my filter seems to be on the lowest setting. I feel like if I didn't have a filter, I would be offending people left and right. Right now, I'd say I'm borderline offensive if anything. I know the difference between being honest and being rude. The problems start when someone asks for an opinion, but doesn't want me to be honest about it.

I've been told that there are times to be honest about something and there are times to lie. My only problem is that when I ask for an opinion, I want an honest one. I don't quite understand where the lying comes in to play.

It's weird how when I was little, every adult would say "honesty is the best policy," but as I get older, I learn that people have certain instances where they would rather you lie to them.

I remember when my grandmother gave me a shirt, just out of blue, and I told her I didn't want it. My mother was furious with me for telling my grandmother that, but my father thought what I did was perfectly acceptable. My mother told me I should just accept a gift when it's given to me and if I didn't like it, get rid of it later rather than telling the person giving it to me that I didn't like it.

My father, on the other hand, said that I shouldn't have to take something that I didn't want and that I was going to end up throwing away later if they just gave it to me for no other reason than to see if I liked it.

I remember that I just a kid and was totally confused as to whether I was right or wrong, but even now, I'm not totally sure.
April 8th, 2013 at 10:30am