Forgiveness crucial or irrelevant?

Forgiveness is affirmation and is also the metaphoric illustration of a scar. A scar is the image of a healed wound, there is evidence of pain and suffering. One may get over the pain and suffering but one will also remember the cause. Basically the main idea of this is that, one can always forgive, yet it is hard to forget. I believe that one can suppress feelings for a long period of time, yet there will always be a certain trigger by which emotions that were once obtained will be released in a not so good manner. This idea also leads me to inquire the conscious role that forgiving can affect on an individual. I personally feel much better when I forgive someone of their transgression, it is like a weight that has been lifted off my shoulders.
“If only I wasn't an atheist, I could get away with anything. You'd just ask for forgiveness
and then you'd be forgiven. It sounds much better than having to live with guilt.” I believe Keira
Knightley stated that the essence of human nature the ability to forgive is crucial to the health of
a harmonious soul. It is important to forgive, yet those who choose not to be deeply wounding
themselves. I know for a fact that forgiveness is a part of human nature. If all people were cold
hearted and held grudges the world would be infested with evil and vengeful spirits.
Yet I have once never forgiven someone, because they’ve infuriated me to the point where forgiveness is not an option. However I am not like most people, I couldn’t care less, and though I exonerate myself for not forgiving. I just enjoy torturing my assailants with stubborn refusal and I do it all with a Machiavellian smile.
V for Vendetta has a marvelous character that I am often inspired by when I feel a bit
doubtful about my decisions to forgive those who have done me wrong: “The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.” I believe sometimes it is not necessary to forgive, for people sometimes need to be punished for what they have done. For there are some actions that cannot be forgiven such as murder of a loved one, abuse or rape. I know not all acts deserver human mercy, but karma is a girl who goes after those who screw her over, in turn the natural order of the universe is restored.
Nevertheless, I have found that there is a fundamental reason that one should forgive. It is something that spiritually you have to do in order to lucratively transition into the afterlife. In order to not become a wandering soul or a vengeful entity one must achieve forgiveness which should be on top of one’s bucket list. Now, when one forgives, one lets go of most negativity and the recollection of loathing. I strongly advise that forgiving is one major key for healing emotional scars.
April 9th, 2013 at 11:48pm