Fanfiction or no fanfiction?

So lately I have noticed on sites like Wattpad that there is some huge tension growing in regards to fanfiction. Admittedly there is an overwhelming amount of 1 Direction fanfiction on that site, many original fiction writers have expressed the shared opinion that fanfiction is not a true form of creative writing. And it isn't just Wattpad either, many creative writing sites have groups who express opposition to fanfiction writing as well.
However to be honest I have no feelings of disdain or any negativity towards fanfiction. While yes it's not great to have too much of something such as the 1 Direction fanfiction example I have mentioned above, it doesn't mean that fanfiction isn't a creative writing form. To be frank I started off writing fanfiction, I wrote fanfiction with my own original characters in an already existing setting and worked on shows such as Beyblades, XXXHolic, X/1999, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, BLEACH, Supernatural, Sherlock BBC etc. and I used my experiences from there to later develop into the kind of writer I am now. While I no longer write or read fanfiction anymore I still haven't stopped my crazy imagination from wondering what would it be like if I myself were in the setting of one of my favourite shows or what would it be like to have my favourite characters in the same room? (One of my little adventures featured what would it be like to have a crime scene in a room and put Patrick Jayne (The Mentalist), Temperance Brennan(Bones) and Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock BBC) in the same room and lock them in hehe).

Personally I believe fanfiction can be a foundation for an amateur writer to develop their skills, gain experience and build confidence in themselves to later progress to more original forms of writing. Thus I think fanfiction can be a wonderful thing (even though one of my favourite writers: Anne Rice, is against it) and I don't think it should be disregarded or hated. I just think there should be a healthy balance between fanfiction and original fiction to let new writers, fanfiction or original fiction, grow and for everyone to have the opportunity to explore new fields as they build confidence.

Asteria
April 10th, 2013 at 10:32am