For the Love of God Drama Does Not Equal Conflict!

This is the second time I've been sent a message saying that I need more relationship, personal, and otherwise just drama. I don't know what it is with people on here, not that this is a solely bad thing, that crave drama over actual plotting. This is not a bash on those who do put a crap ton of it in their stories but I am sick and tired of getting told that I need more drama in my stories to make it interesting. Here are the definitions for drama and conflict:

Conflict: Opposition between characters or forces in a work of drama or fiction, especially opposition that motivates or shapes the action of the plot

Drama :any event or series of events having vivid, conflicting elements that capture one's interest. A prose or verse composition presenting in dialogue and action a story involving conflict or contrast of characters.

I don't need to write a story where a guy and a girl have nothing but relationship drama when they are together or sexual tension when they aren't. It's overused and I don't like writing it, it usually brings out the worst in my characters and half the time I just don't need anything like it in there. I'd like to see a story where a guy and a girl are just friends and that is the extent of their relationship.

You can just have a story where everyone is nice to each other and not act like whinny brats to each other. Where they start crap for no other reason than I have no idea what to do...maybe I should make the characters hate each other so I can progress the plot.

Now, I am not saying all drama is bad. Some is necessary, I will admit I occasionally enjoy it when it is tactfully sprinkled it. Drama, unless that is all the story is meant to be, is like a spice. It embellishes the story, but if you sprinkle too much in it then the story becomes lost and rather crappy.

This was mostly venting. I'll probably catch hell for this but what the heck. Your thoughts?
April 10th, 2013 at 05:53pm