Road Trip Blog #10 (Carolinas)

I feel behind on my road trip blogs again. We left Georgia after a few days in the Savannah, Georgia area. I was not expecting Savannah to be such a nice place but they have a great downtown area that reminded me a lot of a miniature New Orleans. We went down there during the day when it was less busy but I got a ton of photos of the bars and restaurants. I really enjoy finding new places and I enjoy finding places I've never heard of before. Fred and I like to call them "holes in the wall." I also happened to find another slushie bar called Wet Willies. I also found out that they had a Wet Willies in Myrtle Beach so I decided to hold off and visit that one. We left the Georgia area and stayed in Myrtle Beach for four days. We had the rest of our travel day off and one whole day off for ourselves on Thursday. We had camps on Tuesday and Wednesday but still managed to grab some sun before camps and do a little drinking afterwards. I went out on Tuesday night but the area was dead. I went to Wet Willies and had my favorite slushie mix called a "Ninja Turtle." We went to another bar that the guys wanted to check out. I went out with six other guys so I left the group decide where we were going. I saw a karaoke place and wanted to grab a song but it was closed by the time I wandered over there. That night was pretty good.

The next day I went to a place called Little Italy. I got their special of two slices and a drink for $5. Anytime I can grab a good meal for under $5 is awesome. The rest of the weak I spent being a beach bum. I played some football on the beach, I did a little tanning, and I enjoyed the lazy river and hot tubs that the hotel had provided us. It was funny to me because I stayed in the same hotel that I stayed in last year when I was in Myrtle Beach for North Central. I kind of knew the lay of the land here so I finally got to check out this bar/restaurant called Duffy's. It was on the boardwalk. I walked by it last year but never knew it was there and I couldn't drink at the time. I went out mini golfing with Brady and Fred. I thought it was going to be a close match up but literally they put on a clinic. I shot two under par and I lost by 6 or 7 strokes. Either way it was a good time. I will never turn down a chance to go mini golfing.

We finally left Myrtle Beach on Friday and drove straight to another town and put on a camp. Our first tournament director left and we have our new guy, Harper. I originally met Harper when he picked me up from the bus station. I felt like we got off on the right page. The styles are definitely different. I think he is a lot more chill and less of a "loud" character. He also treats everyone like we are on the same page instead of getting angry if we are a few minutes late and having us look at him like the boss. It feels more like he's the point man and he has all the details and just allows us to do our own thing and enjoy it. We left that Friday camp and drove through the night to Wilmington. I guess there was something big happening in Wilmington this weekend because we got stuck in a sleazy hotel. It literally looked like a place where people pay to hookup and then bail. There weren't any dressers in the hotel. It felt like I was moving into a dorm room. We didn't get our room keys till probably midnight anyways so we got a short nights sleep and woke up at 6:30 to leave at 6:50 in the morning. I hate waking up early but I love having the rest of the day off to relax and we have tomorrow (Sunday) off so it was nice to get a good shower, get the driving out of the way, and get a good meal before planning for tomorrow. I think the general plan is to do some exploring in Greenville but go see the movie 42 in the evening.

My random thoughts on the Carolinas: The fast food workers in the area are really bad. If someone shows up at your place at 10:30 and you close at 11 you don't act rude and try to convince your customers to leave. If I didn't have to go to fast food so often it wouldn't matter but since I do that kind of bothered me. Although checking into the hotel the lady at the front desk and a MILF both had great breasts so I'll accept the trade offs.
April 14th, 2013 at 05:45am