Constructive Criticism Is Hard To Swallow And I'm Noticing Not Many People Handle It Well - + Another Subject

Ok,

First an foremost, over the past few days I have read some amazing stories - but there are some that I have critiqued that do need work. As a writer and constructive reader I don't over nitpick like a lot of people , where ever sentence needs to have the perfect coma everywhere. I think that's over stepping. Also, I never see a writer as a bad writer, just one that needs to improve because in writing, I don't care if you are a perfectionist - there is ALWAYS room for improvement. I need to improve to but that's half the fun in writing. Knowing what you're doing and then improving each time.

I'm going to explain something because I am thoroughly confused by this and I pose a very legit and honest question for whoever reads this blog.

If you are not willing to take constructive criticism, why are you writing? If say ' the detailing and sentence structure is off, here's what I think' I'm not telling you that you are a bad writer or that you suck, I'm telling you my opinion. You ask me to review your story - I do and then next thing I know someone is unsubscribing from mine and unrecommending it. Which is fine, that doesn't hurt me - HOWEVER I am not a liar. I refuse to tell a writer they are the best thing since the invention of condoms to boost their ego. I'd want to know how I could approve mine and I'd want the truth. I don't want a sugarcoated pill, give me the thing straight because if you want sugarcoated then I'm not really one you want critiquing and giving my opinion because I won't lie - I refuse. I'm not nit picky but when your character is saying 'I wantz thezz' and 'wantsta screwz' and the character is supposed to be attending Harvard Law School - with a perfect 4.0 average...unless the character cheated on his exam and switched tests with the student deserving to go to that school, which was not the case apparently they 'studies hardz' to get in...then it's not believable. If a story sounds like it was rushed when they're one place then 2 mins later they're 3 thousand miles away without a time lapse and unless they have super powers they cannot get that far in twenty minuets unless they were going at a speed of five thousand miles per hour. So as you can see, I'm not that picky. If it's rushed or if it's the things above I will not and cannot as a fellow writer say that sort of writing is a masterpiece because I won't sugar coat.

I understand there are writers on here that are really young, seven or eight years old and I understand why because they are just learning but when someone who is eighteen and is writing like they are eight, I find it hard to read and enjoy their work because it means they are not taking the time to improve. You have to want to take the advice and learn from it then to just get outstanding compliments for poor writing. If the review is a lie, then the writer doesn't learn and it doesn't mean anything.

If you want to improve as a writer you have to take criticism, otherwise, why write? If you're just doing it for fun and don't care - why do you get mad when someone doesn't think it's perfect and tells you why? If you're writing for others to give you an ego boost then you are writing for the wrong reasons. I'm not writing for the comments, I'm writing for me. Reviews - good or bad, I can take criticism because my teacher in seventh grade use to give me a failing grade in English every report card because my writing sucked and as she put it I would never amount to anything in life - she also hated my guts to so I knew that was on her and not me. I strived since I was six to become the best writer I can and I enjoy writing - it is a passion. I write not because of the ego boosts but because I genuinely want to be the best writer I can.

Why do you write? Be honest.

Also if you want me to check anything of yours out, from now on I would like others to read my stories first because I got a lot of requests but only one or two have taken the time to read mine. I do not like people who lie so don't say you're going to check my writing out when I read yours and review and then never do. That's a dishonest way of getting reviews - so I won't be reading anyone's stories until mine is reviewed. Reading and reviewing is a two way street and I'm an honest person - I don't like to be lied to the same as I won't lie to my fellow readers and writers. So if you want me to read anything of yours, make a request and I will but I'd like the same respect back.

Anyhow, pleasant night everyone.

Take Care,

-Red-
April 15th, 2013 at 07:44am