Awkward

I keep looking back at moments that I have been hit on at bars and I've realized how bad I am at reacting to guys hitting on me especially ones that are attractive. These moments make me look back in both fondness and slight regret that I say the things I say even if I think they are funny.

For instance for Halloween, I was Mia Wallace from Pulp Fiction. If you haven't seen Pulp Fiction then I don't know if you'd even get this. Basically the costume is a black bob, white button down and black capri pants with flats. It's a really normal looking costume I suppose but its a notable character played by Uma Thurman. Anyways I was at a really crowded bar, the kind you could grab anyone's ass and it wouldn't matter because it was jam packed in the place. A rather cute Clark Kent/Superman came up to me rather excited and I'm sure he was thinking this was a serendipitous moment when he approached me saying : "Could it be? Is it my Louis Lane?"

Now what I should have said was "Yes."

What I said was "Close but no cigar, I'm Mia Wallace her cokehead cousin that enjoys five dollar milkshakes."

I thought it was clever and funny but alas Clark did not. As always I laughed at my own joke, then quickly tried to recover. "I'm a character from Pulp Fict-"

Before I could finish the sentence he was gone. I'm not sure whether it was my off beat humor or my not so great shuffle dancing in between all the people but the guy left.

There have been other examples of my improper responses to things. Usually when some guy says I'm pretty or something to that degree I respond with "Thanks, I'm so glad that deal I made with the devil worked out. I was worried for a bit."

Don't ask why I do it, it just happens. I just figured I'd share with other people that we all have awkward failed attempts at flirting with potential mates. Just got to remember eventually there'll be someone that can dish that awkwardness back and perhaps understand the brand of humor you're selling. I'm not even sure why I decided to start writing this blog entry except maybe someone can get a good chuckle out of it.
April 15th, 2013 at 09:32pm