Ch-ch-ch-changes!

Hi all! I wonder who will actually read this.

Anyhoo, I have really big news. It is potentially life changing and I'm really excited to share it all with you. As you may (or may not) know, I've been applying to graduate school. I graduated from college last year with a dual BA in Political Science and Global Studies and for the past year, I've been applying to various programs. I am looking to pursue International Development which pretty much means I'm looking to improve the human condition--as far as welfare, education, poverty, and human rights goes. The list goes on for quite a while.

But, I digress. International development programs are *quite* small and very hard to find, and even harder to get into. Needless to say, despite my grades and graduating magna cum laude, I was unable to get in. Last year I was rejected from three schools in the same day. This year, I was rejected--yet again--to these programs.

When it seemed like I lost all hope, a friend whom I haven't spoken to in quite a while encouraged to get in contact with someone to volunteer abroad. She needed volunteers to help teach English and establish the educational programs as her bilingual school in the first year of its development. So, here goes...

I am going to Honduras for ten months to teach English.

I'll be helping to establish the pre-K, kindergarten, and first grade programs. I am due to leave on July 15th and will be coming back to the United States--good ol' Jersey--on May 30, 2014. I'm going to be in the city of La Ceiba, right on the Caribbean coast.

...so what does this mean to YOU, dear reader?

I'm going to try my hardest to keep up with my stories and updating regularly. My new Angelo story *should* be up in a few days, and I'm hoping to progress with it nicely as my days in the US wind down. I am going to be quitting my job in June to give myself enough time to move out of my apartment, pack accordingly, and enjoy my last few weeks with my friends and family.

My house in La Ceiba should have regular internet and whatnot, but things change down there very quickly. I am always looking for new projects, whether they are one-shots or collab pieces. If you're interested in either of these, let me know! My brain is constantly active. :)

If you're interested in following my journey to La Ceiba, follow my blog: stephinhonduras.wordpress.com.

Thank you, each and every one of you, for making my time on Mibba so wonderful. :) I look forward to having you all read my new pieces and hope you enjoy them as much as I did writing them!

- Steph
April 20th, 2013 at 06:28am