Eating Disorders

mmmmmmmph.

I'm stuck guys.

I used to have really big body image issues, and if I'm being honest I still do, but I've learned how to deal with them in a semi-healthy manner. But I have friends who also have body image issues and have toed the line of eating disorders.

A friend of mine had her mother tell her that she was fat. She wasn't fat. She's a swimmer and has really muscular thighs, but her mother thought it was fat, so she started trying to starve herself. I had a near heart attack and I think she's doing better now.

but.

I just discovered that another friend of mine has been doing this thing that she's coined "The Water Diet". She's been drinking nothing but water for the last eight days, and it shows. She's obviously lost weight. She's also not fat, she's just naturally curvy, but she doesn't see it that way. After trying to explain this to her and failing I told her she needed to eat something.

We walked to the cafeteria together and she nibbled at a cupcake and a bowl of fruit. She said she was going to start eating again, but that she would probably do her "Water Diet" again soon because of the "great results."

I feel really lost. I don't know how to explain to her how ridiculous and dangerous what she's doing is. I know I should report it to the campus medical center, but I feel like I should try talking to her again before I take that step. I don't know what to say to her to convince her.
April 23rd, 2013 at 02:41am