Apparently my mother's boyfriend is threatening mine behind my back. (extreme rant)

See, my boyfriend of about a month...Let's call him Carson...was here last weekend. We were out of tea so my future stepdad (let's call him Pete) took him to a gas station to get some Peace Tea. While patiently waiting on the couch for him to get back for some hardcore snuggling action, I noticed he left his phone here. So I started getting really worried when what would normally be a ten minutes trip turned into two hours.

Never the less, when Carson returned acting like nothing had happened, I was so relieved he hadn't gotten raped or something that I never asked any questions.

Later, once he had left, he told me on the phone that him and Pete had had a long heart-to-heart in the car that night. That Pete had told him that he would support him in whatever he decided to do, and that he should look into getting his life together for "The sake of that young girl in there who loves you."
Image
I was somewhat moved, considering I'd always found Pete to be a little...overbearing. I imagined my future stepfather giving my boyfriend an uplifting speech, considering what happened next...

See, Carson has been without a job for about two months. Not for lack of applying, he just happens to be a scrawny twenty year old with long died hair, a nose ring, and a passion for hello-kitty shirts. All are things I admire about him, he is adorable.

The next day I realized it was a VERY motivating speech, when Carson told me that as soon as he had gotten home he'd applied for four jobs (one of which he'd always said he wouldn't). I was a little upset when Carson's attitude about his hair suddenly changed, though. See, he had before told me that he loved his hair long and hated having short hair. That he'd never have it cut past his ears. But that day, he suddenly told me that he was thinking about cutting it. What changed?

Pete.

Apparently Pete had told him that he needed to cut his hair and take out his nose ring if he ever wanted to get anywhere in life.
Image
While this upset me, I still let it slide. I mean, a lot of people have that point of view and I thought he was probably just looking out for Carson.

The NEXT night (tonight) I was shocked to find out that Carson had a job, and would be starting in a few hours. I found his sudden enthusiasm and disregard for his own standards for jobs very suspicious.

Later, while he was on a break, I told him that I was very proud of him but I wouldn't think any less of him if he hadn't have gotten a job. Hell, who was I to talk? I'm six days from eighteen years old and I've never had a job in my life. It was then that Carson started to sound choked up, he said that OTHER people would care. After a little bit of prying, Carson tried to make me promise that I wouldn't tell anyone what he was about that tell me. I told him to just spit it out.

Apparently my mother's boyfriend of three months told Carson, that night, that if he didn't get a job within a month...Well, Pete would do everything within his power to keep me from seeing him. That we would break up. And that if (and I quote, from Carson) "He hears those words being repeated from your lips, he'll make sure I regret it."
Image
Let's review.

It doesn't matter he's two years older than me.
It doesn't matter he likes hello-kitty.
It doesn't matter that after only a month we nearly worship eachother.
None of that matter. Apparently what decided whether or not I get to see my boyfriend is whether or not he's currently employed.
Image
See, I could understand "I think he's shady." or "I'm afraid he'll hurt you." those are things I could WORK with, things I could calmly debate.

But "Get a job or you're not going to see her anymore."?

Now, Carson begged me not to tell him or my mother. He pleaded that he wouldn't be allowed to see me anymore and that Pete might harass him.

1. My mother will have Pete's head if he does anything to that poor boy.
2. In exactly one week (sorry, seven instead of six) I will be eighteen. And last time I checked, it's illegal to lock an eighteen year old female in her room.

So, while it probably won't make much difference in my future actions, I have a poll for you...What do YOU think is best?

1. Confront Pete.
2. Inform my mother about what Pete said.
3. Remain silent.
4. Wait until my mother goes to work and burn Pete alive in his own bed.
April 23rd, 2013 at 09:38am