I am Rick Grimes

I don't know if anyone on here knows this but I have been studying abroad in England since January. The university I am attending gives a month long spring break (holiday) in which the students are to revise for exams and catch up with what ever they require to catch up with. It is the most absurd amount of time to give a person and its not shocking that I squandered most of that time on Tumblr, mibba, or just simply watching videos on my laptop instead of studying. I got so thrown off by having a month off without really having to do much of anything except schoolwork that my sleep schedule went off the rails. This week has been the first week back for classes. Today I found myself in my British film course to be one of three students that attended the class. One student is an English woman and the other a girl like me from the States. The professor, bless his heart is full of anecdotes and commentary for every film sometimes going off on tangents about British history.

Today he and the woman ended up having a tangent about the labor parties and politics during the sixties so I found myself lost in the conversation for about twenty or thirty minutes. I'm not at all familiar with the history of Britain and a lot of the times some of the references the professor makes goes over my head. Eventually he did get back on track and looked right at me.

"So what did you think of the film?"

Might I remind you that I didn't watch the film and I didn't even know what it was called prior to the class/his tangent. I had been completely and utterly unprepared for the class hoping that someone else would chime in since I was always one to chime in for the other classes. So my response was honest-ish.

"I'm sorry I just got lost in that conversation, I don't know much of anything about British history and that tangent has me realizing that. I suppose it sheds light on the films we have to watch because I am often watching them from an objective American position. Um- well as for the film, I honestly haven't seen the whole thing and its been a while since I watched that bit, but like you said it was a refreshing take on the working class and had told a story about the less known aspects of that life, by using this unknown actor it sort of exemplifies that point they are trying to achieve although I'm not sure if it was intentional to cast someone relatively new to the industry. In conclusion, WORDS, man, words."

My professor who had been nodding in agreement laughed. I seriously was running out of things to say.

"Words? Yes that is what I am trying to get out of you."

"Words are hard, words."

I felt like Rick Grimes from The Walking Dead when anyone asks him what he's doing and he goes: "Stuff."

Then someone asks what sort of stuff and he goes: "Things."

I am Rick Grimes, everybody.
April 25th, 2013 at 10:04pm