The Tell-Tales of High School

High school is most likely the largest pit where jealousy and hatred manifests itself among teenagers. It’s much like the infamous Greek goddess of discord Eris tossed her golden apple into to, just so the all sorts of anger would swell into an epidemic. The judgment, lies, and rumors clasp on someone’s tongue; within contact with anyone, they catch the illness. The judgment, lies, and rumors clasp their tongue as well and it continues to repeat itself. You eventually hear the judgment, lies, and rumors about others as well as about you. At first, maybe you were in a seething rage. “How could anyone, especially ____ say that about me?” But after so many tell-tales, you eventually seize the acknowledgement and emotion. Maybe even begin to question yourself as a person…

It’s probably just me, but I still get surprised when I catch someone talking about me or when someone tells me what someone else has said about me. It’s more like, “Wow, people talk about me? I’m that interesting to discuss about?” Whether it is negative or positive feedback, I’m still shocked regardless. Yet, I have faced people telling me what others have said in a negative point of view. The labels that people brand you with, I swear. I have heard three main words to describe me as: Emo, Anorexic, and Fat.

Sure, I was somewhat suicidal in my early high school career. Most teenagers (if not all) sometimes have those thoughts, some harm themselves in some way. I did harm myself in grief, but what can I say? I guess I was just a troubled girl, trying to figure out this mathematical problem called Life. As for the word Anorexic, I lost weight rapidly my last year of middle school, but I have slowly gained my weight back within time (I’m certain many of you have noticed). I don’t like discussing my weight, it’s just a number. Why is my weight such an issue for you or anyone else? I’m a person and I am always going to grow and change in many different ways, just like you will within time. Everyone changes within time, both appearance and mind. The Fat word is about the same as I just explained with the Anorexic word.

I’m certain I have been called worse, for that I don’t wish to know. It honestly does me no favor to know, that is why I rather block out the people hovering near discussing about me in depth. People that I know have always said, “If you have something to say about me, say it to my face.” I’m the one out of that category, muttering to myself, “I’d rather not know.” I use to end up questioning myself and personality just because a person has classified me as a certain label. Am I that girl? Am I that word?

I am guilty for being swept up in the rumor pool, believing what I hear from just one person. Then again, I was in high school. I was dumb and naïve like most kids are at that age. I am doing my absolute best not to get caught in the net and spill any sort of judgment. Yet, just because I am no longer in high school doesn’t mean I don’t hear it in adult settings. Such as at work, especially at the Rochester McDonald’s (a.k.a. Drama Central) since a bunch of middle-aged women have nothing better to do than to talk about someone to another who happens to be right beside them. Now that is not saying all of the women there that I worked with snickered and cackled about others, don’t get me wrong. I’m just saying a majority of them did.

If someone decides to talk about you and you catch their word by another, just not acknowledge the existence of that rumor. People are going to believe what they hear from one-side of the story, many (if not all) concoct these ridiculous tales just to see how you’ll react to it. If your friends think you should hear what someone else has said, tell them, “I appreciate you being my friend and letting me know this, but I’d rather not know. It’s no value to me.” (That is unless you do want to know, it’s completely your decision). As for me, I am living perfectly fine without knowing this and that said about me.
April 27th, 2013 at 05:41am