Faith in the future generation?

Okay so...

I had to babysit my eldest nephew just now because my mum is in bed, my sister is lazy as fuck and my dad had to pop out somewhere to get something for dinner later. And whenever I babysit my nephew, I put music on because he enjoys my music and he understands what I'm saying when he asks why things happen in the music videos.

For a bit of a change this time around, I put on Michael Jackson's Earth Song. I personally adore that song and the video always hits hard because it's a view of what's happening around us in the world today. Anyway. My nephew sat watching it with me, and he asked me why the people were cutting down trees and why the elephants were laying down.

Him being young and still learning about the world, I couldn't really properly explain it, so I had to explain it in a way that he'd understand. So I told him that there's nasty people in the world that kill trees and animals to get money. He repeated what he said in his own way so he could process what I'd said.

He then turned to me and said: "When I'm a big boy, I will smack people who do that because that's not nice."

When that song finished, I put on some Black Veil Brides because him and I like to sing along to them. He was laying next to me, and he asked me if he could count the studs on my belt. Of course, I said yes. He's still learning, so counting the studs on my belt is his way of learning.

He pushed my shirt up a little bit so he could see my belt, and because my jeans were falling down a little, he saw the cuts and scars on my hip. He looked at me. He didn't ask where they came from, he didn't ask why they were there, and he didn't ask what made them. He simply leant down, kissed one of the deeper ones, then shuffled closer to me and looked at me.

He said to me, and I quote in his exact words: "Don't hurt yourself Auntie Lauren. I don't want you too because I love you. Everyone has dreams. You're awesome, so you'll get your dream when you're bigger."

He understood what the cuts meant without even asking me.

He knows I hurt myself, and he's telling me not too.

He is 4 years old.

I am legitimately sat in my room, sobbing as I write this blog. My nephew is the most wonderful little boy I have ever known, and I couldn't be more thankful to have him in my life. He has given me hope for the next generation, and he's convinced me that he'll be okay when he grows up.

My little man will be okay.

I am sobbing.

I'm sorry if this blog bores you, but I had to share this with you guys. My 4 year old nephew has reduced me to tears because he understands what I'm telling him about the world, and he's told me not to hurt myself.

Please excuse me. I am going to cuddle this little boy.
April 28th, 2013 at 06:05pm