My last semester

Do you guys know how utterly happy I am to write that title? It's my last semester for the year. I'm only taking two courses—albeit in a shorter, accelerated semester so I've got about four months of work crammed into one and a half—but two courses.

And then I will have the summer off.

Good god, I am the happiest camper to ever walk the virtual school-attending plains.

Even if it’s for a program that I was talked into and didn’t really want to do in the first place (Office Administration) I’ve quite certainly learned a lot about myself in the past nine months. The first is that I can actually get things done if I set my mind to them… and do them well at that. I was even asked to tutor fellow students in Bookkeeping last semester. And get paid for it. What? I declined because I’m a huge hermit and still doubt my abilities to this day, but still.

Me, a tutor? What?

Secondly, I set out with pretty dismal expectations while aiming to prove a lot to myself. I just wanted to pass. This last semester I got 80’s, 90’s, and one grade of 75%. That’s not too bad, considering I slacked the first half of the semester. I also got some very welcomed praise from my keyboarding teacher (80 wpm what!) when she calculated my final scores.

I figured out I shouldn’t knock things before I try them. For real. I thought, going into this, that I sucked at math, that I would have terrible study habits, and that I probably wouldn’t be able to stick through it because I had no real interest in anything being taught. As it turns out I still suck at math, but it’s okay because bookkeeping is so much more than making a few calculations. Also, I’m actually pretty studious... yeah, that was a surprise for me too.

Final summation? I’ve gained significantly in confidence. And I really dig business. Or learning about it, rather. I still need time to ponder what that means.
May 10th, 2013 at 04:00pm