I just need one person to actually believe I'm capable

Let's review my scandalous situation:

My boyfriend of a month and a half (yes, I'm totally aware that's like a day in relationship years) and I both live at home, with our parents (past foster parents, in his case.). We're both unhappy with our predicaments. He's twenty and I am eighteen. He has a job, I do not.

Recently we decided to be young and stupid and get an apartment together. This was met with...

Image

I've gotten plenty of "You don't know what you're getting yourself into"s, "Toilet paper costs money you know"s and my favorite was my sister-in-law pointing out the probability of me staying with my boyfriend.

Image

We're not naive about this. We're absolutely and completely terrified. Our conversations about it don't include "So we're gonna stay up late and play video games and prank call-", they include "...what are we going to do about food?"
Image
but the first anyone hears about it, they immediately shut off their ears and see two idiots skipping merrily into the sunset. My mother and stepdad being the worst.

I realize that we haven't been going out long (but for the record my mom and stepdad have been going out for three months and just got married. Just saying.) and there is, of course, the possibility that one will murder the other. But this is something we want to try, this is something we think we need to do. Not even out of town, mind you. We would be living literally four minutes away.

My mom decided that I'm not serious about this, or getting a job, because I dyed my hair today. This lead to her finally coming out and admitting what I knows been on her mind that "Everything I do lately is just wrong."

I'm not trying to be stupid, or wrong. I'm trying to be happy, because I haven't been in a very long time. I'm trying to explore and try things to make me happy, to make me smile. What makes me smile?

Freedom.
My boyfriend.
Sex with said boyfriend is also nice but I could do without it.
Ferrets.
Emerald colored hair.

I'm trying to get out of the pit of depression I put myself in last year. And every single person I've talked to so far has put me down about it, said I was being stupid and that I wouldn't even get my foot out of the door.

I just want one fucking person to be like, "You know what? I believe in you and that you can do anything you set your mind to. Just do what makes you happy." I just want one person to back me up.
May 11th, 2013 at 07:38am