sometimes I feel like people blow plagiarism a little out of proportion

FIRST TWO THINGS: a) yeah there's a blog about plagiarism already and this isn't like a reply or anything just made me think so it's along the same tangent but not directly connected to it ja feel?
b) CAN WE ADDRESS HOW HARD PLAGIARISM IS TO SPELL I MEAN I SERIOUSLY HAVE TO GOOGLE IT EVERYTIME I WANT TO SPELL IT or that could just me a product of my own stupidity and therefore we should just ignore this thank you.

Okay.
So yeah.
Plagiarism.

Now I'm not going to deny that plagiarism is ALWAYS BAD and NEVER GOOD and YES IT DOES GENERALLY SUCK BALLS ON A 100% OF THE TIME BASIS. YOU WILL NOT FIND ME DISAGREEING WITH THIS. BECAUSE IT DOES SUCK.

Also in regards to school don't do it 'cause that shit will haunt you forever. So yeah. No.

But now I'm talking about the online writing community kind. Someone posts a story, someone else copies and pastes that story and claims it's their own yadayadaydada we've hard it like 100 million times YOU GET THE GIST.

IT HAPPENS A LOT.

AND IT'S A MASSIVE DOUCHEBAG MOVE. AGAIN, I WILL NOT DISAGREE WITH THIS.

But I feel like most people take a "the sky is falling" type of approach to it and it's like, okay, yeah, but c'mon, the sky is not falling, you are fine.

And I can say this as someone who has had their story jacked a multitude of times, from a basically re-written (worse, if I do say so myself) version of the same plot to the same characters but she changed the characters names, to word-for-word.

FUNNY THING that's actually how I found Mibba, because I posted my story on Quizilla and it got popular (why idk) and then someone messaged me and was like yeah your story it's on Mibs and I was like GODDAMMIT.

Not because it was stolen (this was like already the second time I believe) but because to see it you had to make an account and you know, effort and shit.

Which is actually why I made a Mibs in the first place fancy huh.

I still don't even get why people jacked my story so often I mean it was pretty shit but ALAS NOT THE POINT. JUST ESTABLISHING THAT I HAVE BEEN IN THE SHOES OF AUTHORS WHO GOT THEIR STORIES JACKED AND SO I GET HOW YOU FEEL. SOMEWHAT-ISH.

But again- not the end of the world.

I mean, you see someone has copied your story, and that's rude, so I can understand taking the what the fuck approach. Because that's rude. But let's be real here, by copy+pasting your story what exactly has this person really achieved? A couple people saying oh hey cool story.

And I mean really that's it. And I don't even get how those reviews/comments would even be affecting them because they're not really gaining any real praise just hey you can right click on your mouse huzzah in reality. But that's neither here nor there.

Say this person was making cash off your story then HELL YEAH YOU CAN SUPER PISSED I WOULD BE TOO IN FACT I WOULD DEMAND ALL THE PROFIT BECAUSE MOSTLY I JUST WANT MONEY AND IF SOMEONE IS TAKING MONEY I COULD HAVE MADE THAT'S NOT COOL I JUST DON'T WANT TO BE BROKE ANYMORE wah but yeah back to the point.

They're not making cash off your story. They are not making anything.

And most writing sites are pretty hardcore about plagiarism (as they should be) so there's a guarantee that if it's word for word, that shit will be taken off pretty quickly. And again, personal experience, I know. In a couple of days, it's gone. That's it. There is nothing left. They are no longer gaining anything from your story.

This person has not stolen a kidney from you. They have pasted your story. Your original story has not been altered. After their story is deleted, it's basically as if nothing has ever happened. The end. Case closed.

I don't understand why people just go absolutely crazy when they find out their story has been taken like BAWLING MY EYES OUT or PUNCHING WALLS and I'M NEVER WRITING AGAIN AHHH because other than the annoyance of having to go and report/message the site/whatever that's basically the only setback that I find? I mean, your story isn't any different. You're not really losing... anything, really. Everything was the same as it was five minutes before you found the plagiarized thing.

I'm not saying it's anything good to improve your mood but it's not like it's the end of the world.

It sucks, again, but I think it's okay to just breathe, send a quick message to the site and just let it go.

IDK THAT COULD JUST BE ME BUT THESE ARE MY FEELINGS ON THE MATTER.
P.S. AGAIN NOT CONDONING PLAGIARISM BECAUSE IT STILL SUCKS MAJOR BALLS AND YOU SHOULDN'T DO IT STILL.
May 21st, 2013 at 12:18am